Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Anna's first trip to Brooklyn

Warning this is going to sound a bit like my cousin's, uncle's, friend's, neighbor's, hairdresser's niece type of post but I hope to be able to keep it straight and not confusing. I guess I will start from the beginning.

Many years ago (about 15) Gerard's Nana Katie (Katherine) passed away. She lived in Brooklyn for all her life and quite honestly I really enjoyed her company. It was my job the sit next to her at family meals and holidays because I never minded what she would say to me. For example she would say "This turkey is tuff, see I have a loose tooth" and then she would wiggle it for me. Usually when Gerard's Dad would pick her up we would call first, drive to get her but never find her at her apartment but usually at the McD eating a cheese burger. At 88 years of age she would walk all over Brooklyn hop on and off buses and was extremely independent a little forgetful but independent still.

She once witnessed a crime gave a statement to the police told them she was 66 years old. When the police were following up with her Gerard's Dad was at her apartment when they came there to go over the statement the police realized that she was forgetful because Gerard's Dad told them she had a son who was 62 at the time. In all I liked her, I was the only one who ever lost weight in her eyes. Everyone else she would say "You look good what did you gain 30-40 pounds?"

When she passed and her things were being removed from her apartment Gerard and I were given her dresser and Uncle Bucky took the four poster bed that matched. When Uncle Bucky came to our home and saw her dresser in our bedroom he told us to come and get the bed to match. This was like 5-6 years ago. Time does slip away very fast.

Here was the problem...Gerard does not like to go to Brooklyn. He left Brooklyn over 20 years ago and never has a desire to return. For him it is a chore to drive there. I on the other hand do not mind going but parking for me is always a challenge, all on the street, in Manhattan I always park in the garage so that is easy.

Uncle Bucky is going to renovate his home in Brooklyn so the bed has now become an issue so now I felt like I really needed to get it home. La-La and I decided to make it a day, so we borrowed Jimmy's truck and set off to get the bed.

In Brooklyn there is a large Russian community. Many of the stores and restaurants in the Sheepshead Bay area are Russian. My sister's co worker is Russian and lives in Brooklyn. He had been asking about Anna and my sister told him that I was missing the pickles. He sent his wife to the store and the next day I had pickles. Since I was going to Brooklyn anyway I decided lets go there too.

La-La and I prayed most of the way for a safe trip and good parking, I know that sounds a bit crazy and I really am not the type to get nervous over stuff like that but I really do sweat the parking, silly I know. When we entered the store it was like flying to Russia, Pretty much nothing was in English and only Russian was spoken. The music in the store was even Russian. I think La-La was even a little amazed by the differences.

I was on a mission to find the right pickles and tomatoes. When Anna started to act up she was corrected in Russian, in a sweet manner by an older Russian woman. Anna giggled so I believe she not only understood but the words that were spoken to her were kind. I felt like a kid in candy shop. We came home with 3 types of pickled cucumbers, 2 types of pickled tomatoes, some delicious bread, berries, Kefir and chocolates. I even spent enough for the free flour.

Anna saw different things and started to point to her mouth, she does that when she is hungry or wants to taste something. I think this was a very good sign. Today we will try all the things we bought. I will also unload the bed from the truck hopefully it is still in one piece. Then if it is nice we will go to the beach to relax or maybe stay home for some pool time. I think Gerard is a bit sad that he did not go this trip. He would have enjoyed spending this time with Anna.



Aunt Barbara, Uncle Bucky and Anna September of 2009


Anna in Uncle Bucky's Brooklyn garden July 2010







These were grown in Michigan



These are the exact berries that I ate as dessert after court in Cheboksary. They are a little tart and peppery all at the same time. If anyone knows the name or where I could get this tree please let me know.

6 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

That candy is the best!!! Bought some in Kras and in Moscow. . .still have some left (momentos)

PS. . .regarding last post. . .I've said it before, that first year is definitely the hardest. The coming year will feel like a breeze and will pass so fast your head will spin!!! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

The red berries, are red currants. I love them also. the grow quite easily.

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

WOW uncle bucky looks sooo much like Chippy! I'm glad you, anna and lala had a nice trip!

Anonymous said...

And the dark berries are black currants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant .

Heidi said...

Love your post! I was not aware of that market in Brooklyn. I'll have to try it out next time I go to Brooklyn.

JennStar said...

What a great day trip. Wish we had a Russian community around here- we're just too suburban, I think! Even though we were only there 1 week and it was over 2 years ago, there's something about it I miss, too. Not so much the food (since we were in Moscow, we ate "western" most of the time), but just the atmosphere and the feeling. Gets me excited to go back! And I will be hunting down pickles when I go, too- LOVE pickles!