Monday, July 19, 2010

Clear as a bell

Yesterday Gerard and I spent the day the day with Anna. I was exhausted with no sleep so it was a family day. Gerard did try to sneak off to the gym right when I got home but when he tried to start his truck it was "click, click, click" The battery was dead. So he took Anna to pick up the battery charger but the battery had a bad cell and so charging it was not an option.

The hunt for a battery started, after 4 hours and 110 dollars later we found one. I feel lucky that he can do this kind of stuff because I imagine it does save us money.

We came home from our search equipped with our Sonic slushes and yes I hid in the backseat of my car because it has now become embarrassing to see the same person almost everyday for 2 weeks for a slushy.

Our clothes came off and bathing suits went on as we headed straight for the pool. Be careful what you wish for this summer has been one of the hottest ones that I can remember in years. A couple of weeks ago we went out and bought a small pool. The kind that you blow up the ring and as you fill it the sides rise. The pool is about 30 inches deep and 10 feet wide. I did not want one that was deeper because I wanted Anna and Hans to be able to stand easily.

We played in the pool for close to2 hours yesterday evening. Gerard who usually looks like an old man "Ooooing and Ahhhhing" to get into any pool was even able to jump right in. I do need to video tape him getting into a pool because it is quite funny.

He played hard with Anna in the pool picking her up and splashing with her around. Funnier then Gerard getting in the pool is that Anna thinks I should get a turn being throw up in the air, onto the bed or in the pool like her by Gerard. Lucky for him throwing me around the pool is the easiest choice.

This morning even before my eyes were open I could hear Anna moving around. She tapped me on my cheek and said clear as a bell "Pool, Mommy, Pool. I want Daddy in pool." Shocked was my reaction. Anna has not been putting two words together as of yet so to hear a full I was really excited.

Even though Anna has extremely limited speech she may not qualify for speech therapy because she understands what is being said to her. In order for her to qualify for speech therapy after she turns 3 she would have to be 33 percent behind in speech or 25 percent behind in 2 developmental areas. Anna's only delay is speech. Because they score both the expressive and receptive language skill together I was told earlier this month that she will probably not qualify because her receptive language is pretty much on target.

Well I best get busy, off to Trenton for an appostile for my 12 month Post Placement Report. Three more nights of work then I am on vacation for about 2 weeks. I really do not have anything planned but would love some suggestions.

4 comments:

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

We were told the same thing about Lexi's speech. She has a huge vocabulary and understands everything we say. The problem is that not everyone can understand her because she does not articulate her words very well. Some words are clear as a bell, but most words you have to know what she is talking about to understand her fully. Anyway, since her receptive language is so great, she definately makes her wants and needs known, and she is not delayed in any other area, she does not qualify for speech therapy services. The Dr. at Vanderbilts Children's hospital told us that she thought Lexi would benefit from speech therapy if we choose to do it anyway. So we might start after her birthday in Sept.

P.S. Be careful with splashing around too crazy in your pool. We had that kind before our in-ground pool and on more than one occasion we had kids flow overboard when a side wall collasped. If only we had our video cameras rollings, we could have sent it to AFV, but it was scary at the time.

Melissa said...

We definitely could use your pool! It has been SO HOT! Ugh! And humid! I think her speech will come. Colby definitely knew and understood more than he could say at first. He still has moments with his speech, S and F sounds are really hard. But he and Anna have come so far. Go Anna go!
Melissa

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Awww..I bet that just melted your heart!! So cute! Way to go Anna!

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

We have the same issue with speech. We're paying a private speech therapist out of pocket to provide services to N. The qualifying element doesn't make any sense to me - he needs the help! C'est la vie.