Saturday, July 24, 2010

She remembers

Of course in the midst of this long stretch of working my 12 month Post Placement report was coming due to be at the adoption agency. So that means I had to make 2 trips to Trenton at 3 hours a piece. So Anna and I packed a few things and we were off Wednesday to make our trip to pick up our documents.

I always tried to make these trips fun and now that I have Anna with me on them making them fun is even more important. On the first trip we picked some pickles, I know you can not pick pickles but that is what the sign said. She had a great time running through the mud and snapping the cucumbers off the vines. I have been thinking a lot this week about Russia and going back to visit.

If I miss being there I was wondering if Anna was missing being there too. In Trenton I believe there is a large community of Russians so on our second drive out to pick up the documents I decided to look for a grocery store to buy some actual Russian pickles. Quite honestly my family is tired of hearing me say these pickles are good but they are not Russian pickles.

I parallel parked to car which I am always amazed when I can do that and put Anna in the stroller. The first store was closed but the second was open down the block. Instantly, I felt like I was back in Russia. I heard both Russian and Polish being spoken no English. I realized that I only had about 15 dollars in cash on me so I bought some crepes filled with sweet cheese, good but not exactly like the ones I ate while in Russia and a jar of pickles which were gone in less then 24 hours.

Anna had been having a tough week so I wondered if my decision to take her to this store was a good one or not. I got to the counter and the man was on the phone speaking Russian. I put my things up there and wished him good health in Russian (broken, battered, beat, style Russian) he said the same back. So what was her reaction???

Anna held onto me and let out with a loud "Mamma!" She was not scared she smiled and pointed to her ear. This is what I do when I want her to listen. Then she said it again looking at him "Mamma" this time she pointed at me not her ear, which I love when she does that. Quite honestly I think the man thought we were crazy but only I knew what this all meant.

We went into the bakery across the street. She was excited and wiggling all around in my arms because there was no chance of getting her into the stroller now. I asked for some bread again in my broken, battered, beat style Russian and the lady smiled at me. Anna was excited still, smiling, laughing and hugging me. We got out of the store and she ate a slice of bread on out way to the car. She was happy and talkative.

She remembers! I will say I was shocked that she could tell the difference between the Polish and Russian languages but it does make sense to me now. These last 11 months must have been so hard for her not understanding the language or hearing what she understands in person. I am happy to report that I have not seen any behavior that is difficult or unusual since our trip to the Russian grocery store. Today I will attempt to make pickles, wish me luck.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I always wonder what Colby might remember. We have photos he looks at and he knows it is him in them with Tatiana, he does say her name but I think only because I have told it to him. I'll have to try putting on the Russian language CD I have.
Melissa

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

They are so smart. Implicit memory is powerful and it lingers for a long, long, long time (for better and worse). How cool that she remembers. How cool that you're tuned into her enough to give her such credit.

cm

Scott said...

There was a lot of food that we tried while in Russia that we thought was better but I don't think we ever tried pickles. Now I am curious about what a Russian pickle tastes like.

I wonder how much Russian my kids still remember. It has only been 6 months for them. I really wish we knew enough Russian to help them keep it but we can only say a few words. :(