Saturday, July 10, 2010

Her smile has changed

In the past couple of weeks I have noticed that her smile has changed. I know that sounds crazy but it has all for the better. I have been working on a photo book from when she first came home from Russia. Looking through the pictures I can see that she was smiling but comparing those smiles to the ones I am seeing today the difference is amazing.

I was able to able to capture a few smiles in those early days in connection with things that we were doing at the time but those smiles were no connected with seeing me per say, at least until the other morning. When Anna woke up she called for me and came to sit on my lap. This is something she has done now for awhile. This morning was different because as I smiled at her she smiled back at me. Her smile was not one that was distracted or fleeting. She made consistent eye contact snuggled in close to me. As I smiled at her she continued to smile at me. This lasted for over five minutes which is amazing especially if you have ever met Anna. Five minutes is a long time.

Last night we were driving home from my Mother's house. It was late for Anna close to 10 o'clock and way past her and my bedtime. I put "Anna's music" on in the car (James Taylor) and sang to her the way the whole way home. Anna has been doing a lot of singing lately using her own words but you can tell that it is singing that she is doing. I pulled into the garage and parked turned to see if she was asleep which she was not and I started to sing to her.

I was amazed again how she looked me straight in the eye as I sang the whole song to her. During the song her smile would go from an ear to ear grin to a soft little smile. I am so happy to see these advances in Anna's eye contact with me.

Attachment is something that takes time. In some cases attachment is very hard or does not come at all. I feel blessed that even though I have had a few challenges I do feel like Anna is becoming more and more attached everyday.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You are doing great. It is a continual journey but our kids are well on their way. Such a blessing to have them with us but more so to see them accept us. Wow!
Melissa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Consistency is the key. . .slow and steady. . .another couple of months and she will likely not remember, or even feel any mother, other than you!! God bless!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I know exactly the smile and eye contact you are talking about. When Owen did this for the first time, I thought I was going to cry. It was a REAL connection, just him and me, him looking into my eyes and smiling AT ME, not at a toy I was holding but ME. I am so happy for you to have this growing attachment with Anna!!