Saturday, April 5, 2008

9 Months Pregnant: At least on Paper!


According to the ticker I am due any day. I just can not believe that I have been actively working on my adoption for the last 9 months. I have not gained a pound either. I have been thinking about this post for the last week. In the spirit of good blogging I have been thinking about this post for a couple of days. I warn you now this post is super long. I have decided to list 9 positive things that have happened in the past 9 months.



  1. I started the process! I know that this may seem like a repeat of my introduction but I have to say that just starting the ball rolling is a difficult battle at least for me it was. I can honestly say that I considered adoption for many, many years before I actually started the process. But some times the fear of the unknown is difficult to overcome.

  2. I have found the money to complete the adoption. That is a victory in its self. After all the payments are made I will have a significant decrease in my comfort cushion but I hope and pray actually I know that this will all be worth it once I am home with the little one.

  3. I have to say one of the things that I thought I would miss about not being pregnant was the story that went along with giving birth. I think this is an occupational hazard. Where would I be when my water broke? Would Gerard be able to get me to the hospital in time? How would I feel when I got to hold my little baby in my arms for the first time? I can honestly say these thoughts no longer cross my mind. Instead the thoughts that are playing in my mind are even better. I am getting excited about when will I get the call? Will Gerard be home? Will I be able to wait until he gets home to tell him the news? Am I going to tell my family and friends right away or will I wait?

  4. My camera skills are improving. Okay I am no Adrienne or Melissa yet but I am trying. I have learned how to down load the pictures into my computer and edit them a bit. One thing that I would love to learn to do before I go is to learn how to do those movies with the music? I love them. I think those movies are a great keepsake. So hopefully before I get the call I will learn how to make one. Even if my first attempt is not great I will take it and run with it.

  5. I have gotten better at putting my thoughts down of virtual paper. Sometimes I think I am not staying the true course of what I intended this blog to be (to document my adoption journey). I know not all my posts are about the adoption progress but I have come to realize that most of the things that I have blogged about in the past 9 months have shaped me into the person I am. I think that knowing your inner self before you have to transform into a Mother is probably a good thing. I will be able to teach my little one that life is a journey to be treasured.

  6. I am almost done with my BSN. Wow I thought that I was never going to be able to say such a thing. I started back to school in 2004 for my BSN because I was bored. I had a teacher once that told me that people who are bored are boring people. That has always stuck with me. Now the BSN will not really change life much in my current job but if I decide to become a school nurse I must have this degree in order to complete this certification for the state of New Jersey. I just think that being a school nurse will be what is best for my child once he or she is in school. The hours are great and the pay stinks but then I will be able to be home with my child during the summer, off on the weekends, be there for homework and off for all the major holidays. Plus I will not have to be on call and drop the little one off if the unit is busy.

  7. I am shopping with a purpose. I know anyone who has been reading this blog has noticed that I am spending plenty of time on the clearance racks in Kohls and many other stores. My little one is fast approaching the need for a second closet because of all the deals that I have found but what can I say I just can not pass them up.

  8. I have figured out the who’s, what’s and where’s of child care for when I work. I am thankful that my Mother lives so close and will be able to stay the night when I have to work. Gerard and I have been very busy fixing the office to make this area comfortable for her for when she stays over. My Mother has many grandchildren but because of her past jobs and that fact that she was still raising her own children when some of them were born she never really got to step in and be the Nanny that she wanted to be. Plus I know have plenty of PTO (Paid Time Off) for me to travel, take off the first month that we are home and then one day a pay period for the next year. I will only need to be out of the house 9-10 times per month and still be paid my full time salary. What a relief!!

  9. I have gained the support of most of my family and all my friends with respect to adopting a child. At times I have questioned why some people have not been as elated as I am over this miracle but I have finally come to terms with the fact that not everyone will be happy with my decision to adopt. I believe that as long as Gerard and I are elated then that is really all that matters. Gerard and I have talked about how we will handle negative people and their comments that may arise surrounding our child and for once we agree on every bit of it. We will stand together strong as parents’ should.

The most important thing that I have discovered is my blogger friends. If someone would have told me that I would be blogging 9 months ago and enjoying it, I would have been crazy with laughter. I think I drove my friends at work crazy with the word blog for at least a month. I have found a group of people none of whom I have met in person who I will always share this special bond. We are parents in waiting and some who have completed their families and I would have never made it this far with out the support, guidance and kind words that I have received from many of you. God Bless you all. I pray for your families daily.


This post is way to long. Sorry.

7 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

Great way to look at the last nine months. So many positives with another yet on the way!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
That actually brought a tear to my eye. I, too am so thankful to have met people who are sharing in this experience. This is such an emotional process with so many up's and down's. It really helps to read and share feelings and experiences. I have to admit, this process is Crazy! But, it will be so worth it!!!
Congrats on almost finishing with school! Have a great day! Teresa

Christen L said...

Congrats on Nine Months with no weight gain, stretch marks, swollen feet or yucky moo moos. :)

In all seriousness, I loved this post. There are always positives that come from struggle. I know your child is coming to you soon and I thank you for your friendship in this bloggerland of ours.

Oh and a big CONGRATS on almost being done with school!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

You are so sweet, Joy. Congratulations on hitting the 9 month mark. I guess you started your adoption the month we brought Owen home!! I loved reading about all of the positive aspects of the past 9 months. I can just imagine for you how wonderful the next 9 months will be!!! :O)

Oh, and Congratulations for having the funds for your adoption and being close to finishing your BSN!!

Mark and Sinziana said...

Joy,
I really enjoyed this post! You have found a lot of positive things during these 9 months! Get ready for when you have your little one, things will be even better!
Sinziana

junglemama said...

How awesome this post was. You are a great journaler. If you are nine months along that makes me almost six months along. I wonder if our pregnancies will be like those of elehants.

Anita said...

Joy, what a wonderful list! It is truly amazing how with research, with beginnings, with hard work, with support and taking one thing at a time, that the journey of adoption becomes do-able. Each of our transformations into mother hood is a beautiful thing that is not always present with tranditionally pg women.