Thursday, April 10, 2008

Many Things Will Change

I have been thinking about all the things that are going to change once the little one get here. Right now Gerard and I are classic work-a-holics. We have crazy sleep schedules, eating schedules and times that we do the ordinary things. I remember back when we both worked during the day. We would be in bed by 9 pm and up and out by 7 am. There are times when I miss those days. Then there are times when I love working the night shift because I can be more available during the day when family visits.

One thing that I have been working on is trying to eat dinner everyday. Okay stop laughing because this is actually more difficult then it sounds. Usually Gerard and I both eat when we are at work closer to 1 or 2 am. Besides my crazy eating schedule I love to eat crazy things like lots of hot peppers the hotter the better and sour things that must be why I pretty much always have lemons in the house. Gerard likes everything bland, bland and more bland. At times this makes whipping something up for dinner very difficult.

Some what does a little one eat? This is my question. I figure there diet is a little more like Gerard's diet and less like mine. I have started to make some dinners that may sound a little crazy but they are really not bad and very quick to make. I take the components of some of our favorite things cook them separately then freeze each piece separately and place them into Ziploc bags. This is cheaper then the frozen meals and they taste better. Some of the things that I freeze are chicken broth, pasta, olives, tomato sauce. I pull out the individual bags and add a half a bag of frozen vegetables and some frozen shrimp or chicken (already cooked but frozen). Pop everything into the microwave and in 4 minutes it is all done. These meals seem to work out great and I am eating a little bit better.

4 comments:

Jane and Jim said...

What an awesome idea - I think I'll steal that one!
It's funny how we're in the same "place" with our thought process - doing all sorts of things to get ready for our munchkins.
I'm praying our day will come soon and we can meet in Moscow!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
That is a grat idea about the meals! I know, I think a lot about how much things are going to change once we get our little one. I think our first baby, our dog, Shea is going to be a little jealous! But she does seem to love babies, so I think she will be happy that there will be someone new to play with!

Anita said...

This is a real problem for us too. Meek works nights and we rarely have a sit down meal together. I want to daily 'table' meals as a family when we have kiddos.

You idea for freezer food is a great one! It does require a lot of planning and organization though, huh? I am going to try it! It's gotta be better than processed food, Lean Cuisine or something.

Christen L said...

I do that with frozen stuff, too. Mainly for the weeks I have exams bc otherwise we'd be eating take out for a week straight. :)