Saturday, May 5, 2012

Switch up, Change up!

I got the news the other day that Gerard's schedule is changing. This is a hard concept for me to grasp but basically anytime one of the other people in his department takes a vacation all the people in the department have to rearrange their schedules to cover the other person's absence. This change can include his days off and shift that he will work. We knew that this was part of the job requirements so I have been expecting this to happen.

We are blessed with a family who is willing to watch Anna are so accommodating. Currently, Gerard works 11pm to 7am with his days off being Friday night and Saturday night. I love having him off for the weekends but the hours really stink. Usually sleeps from about 4pm to 9:30pm than is off to work. This gives him very limited time with Anna. His new schedule will be 3pm-11pm with his days off being Sunday and Monday.

I could see that he was a little nervous about telling me about the schedule change. He has never worked the 3-11 shift before only days or nights. His concern was that he will not see Anna at all after school. I pointed out to him that with his present schedule he does not get to see Anna much now anyway (which we have noticed she really dislikes). I pointed out the positives aspects of the change so I think he is now embracing the different schedule.

Because I work the 7pm to 7 am, on nights Gerard and I both work Anna has been staying at my Mother's house. Now Anna loves to stay at Nanny's house but I think she loves being home more. My mother offered to watch Anna at our house on these nights but it is difficult for her to keep Anna quiet and from not trying to wake up her Daddy to play. 

Because of the schedule change my Mother will be able to watch Anna at our home and it will be easier because Gerard will not be sleeping. My mother will be able to stay or go home depending on her mood once Gerard gets home. I think this is a good change for Anna.

An added bonus is Gerard will get a 4 day period off because of the change next weekend. Now everyone who knows me knows that the wheels in my head have started turning immediately. I am making plans for that time off that I think Anna will LOVE. More on that later this week once everything is confirmed.

For today we are off to see Beauty and the Beast the Broadway production that is on tour. The tickets were very reasonable and we do not even have to drive into the city. Anna is even more excited that I am. I had my calendar out putting in commitments and she asked "Which day are we seeing Beauty and the Beast?" I sat her done and I wrote it into the book than I let her write her name next to the day. On instinct she started flipping through the pages of my calendar and asked "Which day are we going to Disney?" The girl loves Disney which makes me very happy. I told her to make a wish and we will see.

1 comment:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Cuteness all around!! I dislike shift work, as you know. But, making the best of it is always the best recourse. Pat moves to the 3-11 shift this coming week too. . .hmmm. . .

Have a great time whatever you all do during your 4 days off!! Just make sure it includes cheering for the Caps!!! : )