Friday, May 25, 2012

High Heels

 A funny thing happened the other day when I was getting Anna ready for school. I have been trying to pick out Anna's outfit the night before and setting it aside on her launch pad for the morning. The less I have to do in the morning the better. I have been trying to incorporate a few of the Fly Lady tips into my household and this is one I love. So I picked out a skirt that has shorts attached with a coordinating shirt, hair tie, socks, underwear and shoes. This makes getting dressed in the morning easy peasy.

I took out the stack of clothes and started to get her dressed. Just then Anna started to melt down, serious tears, red face and all. According to Anna "I just can't like that!" Of course what ran through my mind was I spent a small fortune on this outfit why can't you like it but rather than argue and make her  upset we picked out another together. Problem solved.

The following day was the class party. While at the class party we were sitting eating pizza and watermelon, one of the little girls stood up and said "Look at my high heels!" Followed by "I love this skirt because it is short." No you heard it right all of this from a 4 year old girl. I nearly choked on my watermelon. The shoes were a wedge style that were easily 2-3 inches in height. The funny thing is the mother said "I just love dressing a little girl." To be honest with you the skirt was similar to what I was trying to put on Anna the day before with one exception it was in Anna's size. Now when I first saw the short skirt what ran through my mind was this little girl has had a growth spurt and her Mother got caught in a situation where she did not have the proper size for the child. After talking further with the Mother she told me that she has been waiting for her little girl to fit into this outfit. Oh boy is all I could think.

After the party Anna wanted to come home with me. We played with Anna's baby doll, feeding, changing and wrapping the baby. Out of no where Anna busted into tears saying "I need high heels! Like J." Now I know I am not a high heel wearing woman but I think at 4 true high heels are out of the question. I know for a fact that Gerard would freak if I came home with a pair of shoes like that for Anna. What are your thoughts on a 4 year old wearing high heels?

10 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Why not try some of the jelly shoes that have about 1/2 inch of a heal. Not too high, but may high enough for Anna? I think they have them at Target. . .probably. . .never get to go to the girl section though. . . Let me know what you decide and figure out!! but, face it Joy, Anna is a girly girl!! : ) Love it!

Naomi said...

Not in a million years! She will be a grown up soon enough! Maybe some sparkly "dorothy shoes" from the wizard of oz would do the trick. Short skirts...think this mom has been watching too much "toddlers & tiaras"! Just my opinion but I would try to keep her age appropriate as long as possible...

Melissa said...

Oh my! Now I'm happy to have a boy! But now way, I can't stand the way some parents dress their girls, like little Barbie dolls. Maybe a little "princess heel" I think they called them. We had them in dress up shoes. But I love the way you "dress" Anna.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

No way!! Not anything even close. Little girls are little girls, not little women or little floosies. It is sad that they make so many clothes that look so skimpy and sexy for little kids. Makes me sad.

Janet said...

NO WAY! Heels on a 4yr. old! I agree with anonymous! Janet

Anonymous said...

Not in a million years. Our oldest is 13, and we have NEVER allowed any clothing like that. Because we have never allowed it, it is not even discussed in our house. However, she attends a private Christian school so that is a huge help, since clothes and culture are discussed at length by her teachers. I can tell you, though, peers do have a lot of power, but we have the money! :)

Victoria

Mary Ann said...

Oh, no. Age 4. With my daughter it started at about age 8. I had lots of trouble finding decent clothes for a beautiful little girl of average size. It is critical that you take a stand for what you believe in. Anna is learning from you.

Elana in NJ said...

What if you got her some Princess Dress up shoes from the Disney Store? Those usually have a bit of heel to them and are sparkly which all girls love.

dnd82001 said...

No no no for either.........

Kids clothes for kids.........

Craziness!!!

Darlene

sasha said...

Hi, I have to say that I absolutely adore hight heels. I wear them all the time to everything. That being said...my parents did not let me have a pair until I was 16. I waited and waited for my birthday and they were special. Now these heels were nothing in hight compared to what I wear now...but they were special to me. I believe that our little girls should be dressed like little girls. I get very upset seeing young children dressing...the way I do. (22 YEAR OLD) It is up to you...but it can be something saved and something special.