Friday, May 18, 2012

Putting life into perspective

Anna has had a hard transition since Gerard started working again. I am fortunate that my Mother is able to watch Anna. I know that my Mother enjoys the company as well as enjoying her Nanny role in Anna life. Up until this week Anna was staying at Nanny's home because Gerard was sleeping. My Mother felt that it was what was best so that Gerard could sleep. Gerard and I agreed. Anna on the other hand did not. Anna loves to be home in her house which is such a blessing.

About 3 weeks ago Anna started to protest going to my Nanny's house when I worked. Gerard's shift change came at just the right time for us as a family. Tuesday night was the first night that Nanny watched Anna at our home. I left at 6 pm and by 8:15pm Anna informed Nanny that it was time for bed. She gathered her things and marched herself into my bedroom to get into what we call "the big bed." My Mother was shocked. I have the feeling that Anna was having a hard time settling down at Nanny's house and that going to bed was a harder task than Nanny wanted to admit.

Nanny followed her into the bedroom to lay down with Anna but was stopped in her tracks. Anna told her "No...this is Momma's bed, only Momma and Daddy sleep with me." Nanny pulled a chair over and sat with her until she fell asleep. According to my Mother she was out in less than 10 minutes.I love how Anna has learned that home is a safe place to be. I love that she loves being home with us.

Which brings us to last night, Nanny thought it was perhaps a good idea that I bring Anna to her house more often just for a visit. I agree. Honestly I never thought about it but recently when we go to Nanny's house it is usually to drop her off. So on the drive to Nanny's house Anna started to say "I don't want to go to Nanny's house." I reassured her that she was coming home with me tonight. She thought about it for a minute than told me "Nanny might cry if we leave." Anna is learning about other people's emotions right now which is really cool to watch. I told Nanny might be sad when we leave but she will be very happy having us for dinner.

During dinner I got a text message from work that they needed help. At this point I felt torn because there have been so many nights that I have needed help at work and a co-worker has come in to help. I looked at my Mom who offered to watch Anna on the spot. Anna than told me "They will be sad because you can not go to work tonight you have to sleep with me in the big bed tonight." I have a very wise little girl.

Anna has given me so many gifts in the past 2 almost 3 years. I think putting life and my priorities into perspective has been one of the best gifts. Work can wait and yes I am sure they were sad but Anna needs me right now more.

I think his shift change is going to be a good thing. Let's hope it lasts for a while.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

At times, they seem wiser beyond their years. I'm glad things are turning out well for you. And thank God for Nannys.
Melissa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

They are such a blessing!! Thank God for our little people. I am so happy for you that you all have Anna in your lives. She is such a sweetie!!!

Deb said...

Wow! Seeing her comfort and need for you in this way is amazing.