Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This week's project

Salt dough ornaments! As a child my Mother, sisters and I would make all different things for the holidays. One year we made puppets from felt. I still have that puppet and put it out every year. The funny thing is I can so clearly remember picking out the eyes for my Santa puppet, they were red and white. When I look at this puppet every year I think 'What was I thinking they don't look like eyes!' I wonder how much of our projects Anna will remember if any.

This past summer when I went to Brooklyn and stopped at the Russian grocery store I guess I spent enough money to receive a free bag of flour. I know it may not be very different but I think making these salt dough ornaments from my Russian flour was a neat way to connect one of my family traditions to Anna's heritage.





The recipe for these ornaments is very easy and usually you have everything in your pantry.

1 cup flour
1 cup salt
1/2 cup of water

Mix together, roll out flat, use cookie cutters to make the shapes. Air dry or bake at 200 F degrees on a cookie sheet. I baked our for quite a few hours. Then paint, seal with a spray sealer, add a ribbon and hang.

As much fun as it is for just Anna and I to do a project I love it even better when I am able to spend time with my family too. We decided to make it a family event. Julie (my sister), La-La, Me-Me (Hans' mommy), Nanny and Hans joined us.

We set both of the kidos up with a bowl for mixing up their own dough. Anna measured out the flour, then the salt. We mixed it up and that part went pretty quick. Anna's favorites are the deer and camel. Many of these cookie cutters were my Mother's that my sister still had and uses every year for her cookies.

Then it was Hans' turn! Flour was poured, Hans slipped then the flour ended up on the flour. Hans was not hurt and instead started to giggle and do his best to get down to play in the flour on the floor. Believe it or not I think this made it more special for me because we all had a good laugh. For years to come when I look at these ornaments I will think about the cup of flour all over my floor and I will giggle.





I was also able to get an imprint of Anna's hand and foot. Her hands and feet are still so little. I am sure that I will love these ones from a long time. I know it is hard to see but Anna is trying to get my Mother to help her get King's foot print too.







I am sad to say there will not be a weekend project this weekend because I have to work. My work days are some what clumped together but then I should be off for about a week. I can not tell you how excited I am for the holidays this year. I think my plan to extend the holidays this year has made me feel better. I just love spending time with Anna.

7 comments:

Tracey and Chuck said...

What a fun idea!!! I love the hand and foot print!!! Might have to try that with our Matthew this year! Thank you so much for sharing!

Pam said...

Thank-You!! I was hoping you would post this recipe. Nova and I will be doing it this weekend. We did your cinn. and apple sauce one LOVED it!!! Thanks again you rock! the pictures are too cute!!

Melissa said...

The ornaments look great. And thank you for the recipe. I'll have to try them with Colby soon.
Melissa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Awesome! We're going to do the Cinnamon and Applesauce ornaments this weekend. . .thanks for the great ideas!!

Heidi said...

I love it! Will definitely try a hand in this project. Thanks for sharing this.

Nikki said...

I was looking for someone else's blog, and I found yours instead. It was a good accident! I look forward to coming back!

Dede said...

I had never heard of these before. Thanks for sharing! It looks like fun and I love the way they turned out.