Monday, November 29, 2010

Operation Gingerbread House

I can not believe that I had never made a gingerbread house before this weekend. I have walked by them and thought "Wow I bet that would be a big mess!" I will admit that I have been tempted every time I see them.

When I saw them on sale on Black Friday I thought "What is a little mess?" I am so glad that I bought them. What a blast it was to make these little candy houses. So early on Sunday morning I started to put them together and waited for them construction of the houses to dry. My sister and La-La picked up some extra candy just in case we needed a few more pieces.

Anna and Hans enjoyed most of the gummy rings and sour patch kids before we got started decorating the houses. Anna would taste the sour patch kids then say "Share" and give it to Hans. I guess she is learning.

I think they turned out pretty nice for our first time around.





8 comments:

Ms. Elaine said...

I am impressed! You are making such wonderful memories for Anna and for you too!

Melissa said...

They look great. We have one to make too. Maybe next weekend.
Melissa

The Robins' Nest said...

Wow! They came out great! We've done one every year the past three years and I have yet to get ours looking that good. Love the roof tiles on the one.

Anonymous said...

That's one of our holiday traditions also. And here's a great way to "cheat" if you don't actually plan to eat the house: hot glue the house together. I started doing that after having the hardest time keeping the houses together. Cover the seams with icing, and nobody will ever know. ;)

Lori said...

Very nice houses!

Thanks for the good idea, Anonymous - I'll have to try the hot glue this year, as last year my roof kept sliding off and finally collapsed the entire structure. Grr! :-)

Deb said...

They look great. Wow, that's a lot of candy!
I want to make one with Isabel this year.

Christen L said...

Joy,

I don't know why my google reader was not updating your blog. I am SO far behind and I can not believe how beautiful and big Anna is getting!! Looks like you're enjoying all of the wonderful things that come with having children. Not sure if you have our new blog address - I saw our old one in your blogroll link list. The new address is: http://withtwopugs.blogspot.com

We're currently waiting for our referral! FINALLY!

Janet said...

Looks like lots of fun!And I think the houses look great too! Loved reading your last two posts on Thanksgiving!What a wonderful lesson for Anna