Saturday, November 20, 2010

Gerard's Christmas project

In the three houses I have lived in as an adult none...count them none have had a true fireplace. I love fireplaces! My home is not a formal home. I remember one Christmas Santa surprised me with new end tables, I loved the shape of them but they were very formal with a high gloss finish. Lucky for me Santa let me return them for the ones that are still in my living room today. I can not believe that was 15 years ago.

Although I love my house I would say this is not the last house I will own. As an adult I have only ever lived in new houses with the exception of this one but Gerard completely remolded this one prior to us moving into it. The house was only 4 years old but had been destroyed by the previous owners. I remember our parents being very distressed at the thought of us buying this house. It took over 4 months to make it livable again.

Selling the other house made adopting Anna possible. This house is much smaller about half the size of the one we had built. It was not until I moved into this much smaller house that I realized I am a small house girl. I have no need for a formal living room or two story foyer. I love the way they look but I had a very hard time decorating such a big house.

I would love to live in a 1950's cottage.To meet Gerard's specifications it would have to be completely redone and everything new...sigh. Maybe one day I will get a secret cottage for myself as a retreat. I so wish I had a fireplace with a big mantel. So a fireplace is on the list for my next house which is years away.

When Gerard realized Anna was coming to us he started to measure for a fireplace at once. Our living room is mostly windows so fireplace would be difficult to incorporate into our living area. We tossed around the idea for the last year and he had decided that it was possible even though I was not sold on the idea.

As the holiday season is fast approaching I once again am longing for a fireplace. I came up with in my opinion a perfect idea...a cardboard fireplace. For 16 dollars and a little bit for shipping I purchased a beautiful "brick" fireplace. I imagined us warming ourselves by the fake fire with our stocking hung by the chimney with care.

Little did I know Gerard had been taking Anna to look at fireplaces while I slept during the day. Last week on our way home from Surf Taco he told me he had to make a stop first at Lowes. I thought nothing of our stop so I said "Okay." Once we were in the store Anna started to say "Anna's fire, Anna's fire, Anna's fire!" The two of them took me to the one he picked out we talked about it and the decision was made a real fireplace for the holidays.



Even though I said I was not going to be doing any holiday projects this weekend Gerard had other plans. Operation install the new gas fireplace went into effect on Friday night. Below is a picture of Anna helping Gerard with cutting the hole in the wall.



Projects of this nature with a 3 year old are difficult was I was sent shopping (poor me) and Papa came over the help Gerard. Now we have a completely working fireplace and boy is it toasty in here now.



***Please note that Gerard is a licenced Electrician and his Father a plumber.

8 comments:

JennStar said...

What a sweet surprise!! A reindeer or nativity scene will look wonderful on top!! (or a family picture, or a "Noel" sign, or a frame for Anna's Christmas art work or . . .)

:o)

Anonymous said...

I think I would trade my husband's diaper changing ability for the ability to be HALF as handy as Gerard!! ;)

Ms. Elaine said...

How Neat! Can't wait to see pictures once you have it decorated for Christmas. I think you will like the warmth it brings not only in your heart but for those cold winter days which are coming soon.

Masha said...

Congrats! My first was the 1945 cottage complete with picket fence & retro kitchen (checkerboard floor and flamingo colored wall tiles! :) ). While it had great original, creaky hardwood floors & trim the woodburning fireplace was a bummer. In my new house, I love that there is fire with a flip of the switch! (And walk in closets and bigger bathrooms :) ). Enjoy the crisp weather with a fire.

Melissa said...

What a great surprise. We are both so lucky to have such handy men in our lives. I love that Gerard took the time to include Anna in on his planning. How sweet! Can't wait to see it all decorated!
Melissa

Nikki said...

What a sweet husband you have! Enjoy your new fireplace!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

This is so awesome! I love my fireplace. It was a requirement that we have the big brick fireplace when we built this house.

Janet said...

What a neat surprise!Love the pictures of Anna! Next time PLEASE have Gerard turn around! (HE HE!)