Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Non-Adoption News

Okay now for some non-adoption news with the New Year brings another set of stresses. I have not mentioned this in my blog as of yet because it has not come to mind but I am currently in school for my BSN. I go to school online at the University of Phoenix. The classes are only 5 weeks long for 3 college credits. I knew that I wanted to finish my education before the baby came so maybe that is the reason why I took a break. My job pays for about 6000 dollars of education every year so I only take enough credits until these funds are exhausted. I started in 2004 and hope to be finished in June 2008. I can not tell you how excited I am about being close to done with this degree.

Gerard is a good sport about it. I think it is hard for him to understand why I want to finish this since I will only get a minimal raise. I never want to do anything but acute care nursing as a staff nurse. My thoughts are is that once the baby comes it will be 20 years before I could do something like this for myself and maybe I will want to do something different in 10 years who knows.

What Gerard does not know is that I am going to plan on finishing my Masters in Nursing Education too. I will tell him that next year when he needs to know. Education is never a waste.
I have to say that I am a little worried about how I am going to help my child pay for college. I know that I will have to start to save right away. I think once I am finished with the whole adoption process and transition that will be the first thing that I will investigate. Gerard and I feel that it is important to help a child with an education but that he or she also needs to be invested in paying for their education. This is a lot to think about.

3 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

Congrats on going for your BSN. I think it's great that you are doing it now. It's especially great that your work will pay for it!! Keep us all updated about when you finish!

Jane and Jim said...

It's wonderful that you're continuing your education - you said it best, education is never a waste.

Anita said...

Education is never a waste!! Nobody ever regrets it! Congrats on your accomplishments so far! I'm impressed!