Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I'm Checking Things Off the List

Well the Psychological Evaluation is done!

I think I had some underlying fear about this part of the Dossier. I can not believe how easy the evaluation was. I took Valerie's advice and tried Dr. Linda Busch for the evaluation. She told me that she will have the documents to me and apostilled by the end of next week. Wow that is great service. She was wonderful because she was able to bring her experience as an adoptive mother to the conversation. She was the type of person that you could talk to for hours and still find the conversation rewarding.

She had some great views on attachment and just generally getting used to becoming a family. There was nothing that was weird or out-there about her thoughts. If I lived closer to her I would consider using her as a regular therapist.

I spoke with Lisa my adoption coordinator yesterday. She reviewed my paperwork for the initial part of the Dossier and said it looks good no real changes needed. So that is moving right along. I feel like I am really back in the swing of things. I did not realize that I was having so much anxiety about all the changes. I feel much more focused now. I really was in a funk the past couple of weeks and did not realize it.

I think I was still shocked that this adoption is going so well (knock on wood). I have not had any real set backs. I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop a little bit. I guess I will just enjoy the moment.

Lisa my adoption coordinator said that if I get everything in to her for the end of February then I should maybe hear about a referral around the end of April. I think some of my anxiety was because when I started this journey I was fully prepared for travel in the end of 2008. The thought that this could happen sooner is both wonderful and frightening.

Non-Adoption news my new class started today. I have 4 more after this one. I can not wait for this to be done. The classes are only five weeks so they get pretty intense. By about the third week I am ready for it to be done. There is very little room for error in these classes to meet the participation that is required. I am so glad that I am doing this before the little one comes. Off to work now.

8 comments:

ana said...

Congratulations on getting the psychological evaluation done! Sounds like you met with the right person.

Sounds like your process is picking up speed. I remember when that happened for us. We wanted things to move along, but on the other hand, it's still very overwhelming. This journey seems to be a mixture of being excited and freaked out, all at the same time!

Hope your new class goes smoothly!

Valerie said...

Easy, peasy - right? I'm so glad it worked out for you!

Jane and Jim said...

I'm so glad things are moving right along for you! It's so exciting to know that the dream of becoming a mom is really going to come true... I feel it too! And the Psyc Eval was nothing right!?!
Best of luck with your class - at least this is something to take your mind off of adoption so it will move even faster!

Troy and Rachel said...

I'm glad the psych evaluation went well and you can cross that off the list. Good luck with your new class!

Deb said...

I'm very glad everything is going so smoothly for you. It's nice to see what a normal adoption is like!!

Congratz on getting this step done. She sounds like a fun person to talk to.

Leslie said...

things seem to be moving on a good pace YEA! thats great to hear!!

Becky and Keith said...

sounds like everything is coming together quickly! Good luck with your class!

Anita said...

I'm so glad to hear the psych thing went so smoothly! Sounds like the Dr does provide a very thorough service!