Sunday, November 18, 2012

Has it really been a week?

Exhausted! That is the theme for this week. I helped Aunt Nel pack what little she could save from her home. It has been exhausting both physically and emotionally. Aunt Nel lost about 90% of her things not to mention every room in her home was touched by the flood water. There are still a few boxes that need to be packed and put into storage. I think we are all trying to avoid that because once it is done Aunt Nel will be moving to upstate New York to stay with her son. She will be greatly missed.

Gerard has been busy every night after work so that leaves me as the only parent available for Anna. Unfortunately, she only was awake one night this week to play with him for about 15 minutes. I finally broke down today and asked him if this was our new normal. He assured me that soon things will be better. I am not sure if I believe him or if he even believes himself.

Most of his parent's house has been cleaned out of the wet sheet rock and things that have been ruined by the flood. They are so anxoius to get back into there home but today Gerard broke the news that it may take some time before that will happen. This man is so much more patience than I do. Today they opted to go to AM's house for Marie's birthday celebration with JM, and I think to get away from us for a few hours.

Progress on the red house pictured in the last post will be SLOOOOW. Our goal is to fix it for cash as to not incur additional debt. Perhaps 6-8 months out we will finally be able to put it back together. AM, Dana (Gerard's cousin) and Phil (Dana's boyfriend) pulled out the flooring, appliances, and additional stuff left behind by the renter. Next will be the removal of the sheet rock. Homework kept me from helping which does not feel good. I have three more weeks of school to complete before my break. My goal is to complete my final major project tomorrow so that I am free to help with removing the sheet rock at the red house.

On the bright side Anna is even more excited to come home than usual. The poor dear LOVES having Aunt Nel, Grammy and Papa here with her. She actually made me call them one night to tell them it was time to come home because it was getting dark out. When the time comes for everyone to return to their homes I fear she will be sad.

In all we are doing pretty good compared to most. I feel blessed that over the past couple of months we have made paying down our debt a priority. Otherwise I would be crazy with anxiety. Thanksgiving this year will hold a different meaning for us. We are planning on a more low key dinner than usual but are thankful for so much more that in past years. Usually, we have about 20 for dinner this year the number may be more. Tomorrow night I will shop for everything I need so that I can start to get a plan together on Tuesday. I know much of this entry sounds sad but really it is just the exhaustion talking.

1 comment:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Dearest Joy,

You all continue in my prayers. I pray daily that everything will settle down a bit. I know it may take some time to get back to "norml" but you are all together. . .God bless and PLEASE tell me if there is anything we can do--in addition to keeping you in our prayers.