Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Halloween & New House Guest

Halloween was moved due to Hurricane Sandy to this past Monday. I was so lucky to be off. Trick or Treating door to door was banned so the town did a large trick or truck at one of the schools that is not being used as a shelter. Hans, Me-Me, and Greg were going to meet us at the school while the line was soooo long and it was starting to get cold I just knew we would not be able to do that then I remember the Baptist Church around the corner from my house also had a trick or trunk so we decided that this was a better choice for us. The Pastor has been working all week to help those in need. He had even delivered breakfast to Gerard's parents one morning at the house. We are so lucky to live in such a giving community.



Anna dressed like Ariel and Hans wanted to be the black bird from Sleeping Beauty. JoanMarie had also been staying at our home because they did not have power either. JoanMarie got to wear Anna's Bumble Bee suit from her first Halloween. She looked so sweet.

It's official Gerard's parents will be staying with us until there home is livable again. They considered staying full time at their daughter's house but it is over an hour away and not a realistic choice for them while they work at rebuilding the houses. So this weekend Gerard will be making detailed lists of what work needs to be done in the houses. We will then sit down and make out a time line.

I will not lie it is going to be hard but it is the right thing to do and I insisted that it be this way. I have told them that we WANT them to stay with us. I think the hardest part will be for me trying to sleep and complete my homework while others are home. I have already broken out my noise cancellation head set to read in quiet.

The positive part of this of course has to do with Anna. She is LOVING having her grandparents with her every night. Plus now my Mother does not have to come over at 5 am so Gerard can go to work. With the cold weather coming this is a good thing.

My fears of needing to make a nightly dinner for Gerard is now elevated because I will have Gerard's parents too. So today we have a roast in the crock pot, green beans and mashed potatoes for dinner. I have been following the Fly Lady and guess what the habit is for this month...You guessed it planning ahead for dinner.

I had hoped to get to the one house to take some pictures this week but we have decided to keep Anna away from as much of the destruction as possible. Perhaps this weekend I will show you the place Gerard and I fell in love so many years ago.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and notes.

4 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I think Gerard is going to begin craving frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! : )

You all are ever in my prayers. I am so glad you all survived health wise. Houses can be replaced. . .

PS This may be a blessing in disguise. But you are always welcome to come down for the weekend whenever you would like.

Melissa said...

I am so glad you are all ok. And I bet having Gerard's parents stay will be a great thing for Anna. She will love all of the attention. Hopefully their house will be as good as new soon. I can't believe we had a hurricane last week and now I sit in the middle of a Nor'Easter. Already a couple inches! Yikes!
Melissa

Mary Ann said...

Joy,
those of us on the west coast are thinking about and praying for all those who have suffered with Sandy. We hear very little on the media. It seems to be almost ignored, but we know that the rebuilding will take some time and think of you all daily. Sending hope and wishes for good health,
Mary Ann

Deb said...

I was thinking the same as Mary Ann. I don't listen to the news very often but it seems we have heard barely anything about the storms and destruction.
Grateful that you all have each other and are safe.