Tuesday, October 23, 2012

And then there were three!

Well, I have more news that I did not get to last week. Drum roll please....Jenny is having triplets!!!! Well last Thursday we went to the high risk doctor. It is confirmed there are three babies! It appears that they are also identical which makes them very rare.

There were a couple of moments during the ultrasound when we all held our breath. The ultrasound technician was having difficulty finding the membranes that separate the babies. One deep breath, a quick prayer and boom we spotted a membrane that separates each of the babies.

Once the ultrasound was completed it was time to talk with the high risk doctor. I had talked with Jenny the day before about a few of the things that I thought she would cover which in retrospect I am so glad that I did. It gave Jenny the opportunity to think about what she was going to say prior to being put on the spot.

The doctor talked about prematurity, complications for Jenny with a triplet pregnancy. I could see the doctor starting to head down the road of giving Jenny the option of what she called a therapeutic abortion. Jenny turned and looked at me then to the doctor. Her exact words were...

"Doctor I mean no disrespect but see God is the one that allowed me to get pregnant with these triplets and I have no intention of aborting them under ANY circumstance! They are my babies and I will take care of them. There is nothing therapeutic about an abortion."

I am pretty sure that this is one of those moments in time that I could never be more proud of my sister. See it is going to be hard...VERY hard but through it all Jenny just keeps saying I will make it through. She will need to change careers, find a new job to accommodate her family, find a place to live and just the day to day issues of raising children. Here is the funny thing I know she will do just fine.

Jenny will be monitored very closely, about every two weeks she will have an ultrasound until the babies are born. Our prayers are that she is able to remain pregnant to 36 weeks of gestation but we are also realistic and know that she more likely than not have to deliver them much earlier.

Thanksgiving is the date when the babies will be considered viable or able to live outside the uterus. I am praying more specifically that they are more than 33 weeks (around  Valentine's day) and that none of them experience twin to twin transfusion. If they find this to be the case she will be transferred to Philadelphia to deliver.

4 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Wow!!! Prayers for Jenny, the babies, and all you all! Wow. . .Thanksgiving is a magical date: We met Aidan on Thanksgiving and that date is exactly the same date this year. God is so in this!! What is a twin to twin transfusion? Hugs and prayers for you all.

Melissa said...

Prayers as always. I am so excited for all of you. Keeping my eyes on Valentine's Day!
Melissa

Ms. Elaine said...

Prayers for them all! I know you are one excited aunt. How many other children does your sister have? what is twin to twin transfusion?

Janet said...

Praying for Jenny! Gonna ask my prayer group ladies to pray! I would like to shout YES!!! to what Jenny told the Dr.!Janet