Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mama Why?

Anna is a very inquisitive child. She has always loved to see and know how things work. I love it because I am very much the same way. Perhaps that is the reason why I am really enjoying my current class about advance pathophysiology but that is a whole other story.

Today Anna was lucky because she joined Gerard while he ran around town making all his weekly stops then ended up at Papa and Grammy's house. Auntie AM sent down a beach towel with a unicorn on it that Anna is completely attached to already. When Anna woke up she asked if we could go to the zoo. I knew that it would be impossible because of our work schedule but I was considering it for Sunday afternoon. About an hour later Auntie AM asked if I wanted to go to the zoo...hmm I guess the zoo was on every one's mind this morning. I declined but told her that if Grammy and Papa were going to that they could take Anna.

I know it sounds crazy but this is a big deal for me. Usually Anna is with Gerard or myself on outings or Me-Me and La-La and that is pretty much it. I know my nieces are able to run after her if she bolts on them. I am so glad that I we let her go because she really enjoyed the zoo. Because I was scheduled to work (I got put on call) I asked if Grammy and Papa could drop Anna off to my Mother's house so she could spend the night there which they did. I do love the convenience of all of us living within 4 miles of each other.

So I started on homework this morning around 10 am. I was happy to get the extra time to work on my project. Basically I have to describe disease processes at a cellular level and how it affects each organ system. No really it is pretty neat and I do love it. I know it makes me sound really strange. Because I got called off I was able to completely finish my homework so tomorrow all I have to do is play with Gerard and Anna.

I decided to go to my Mother's house and surprise Anna. It just does not feel right for her to not be home if I am home which this effectively puts my Mother on call as well until Gerard gets home. For me Anna chooses to regress to a baby like state at times. She wants me to hold her, she does a fake cry like a baby, and at times I have even swaddled her like a baby. Usually this only lasts for a couple of minutes and then she is off playing. So tonight I packed her up and was buckling her car seat when she asked me "Why do I keep growing?" After 10 hours of explaining things at a cellular level for my advanced pathophysiology class I could have told her in very technical terms why she continues to grow but that was not what she was looking for from me.

I think this comment is so interesting because last night when Gerard got home he peaked in on her and we were whispering about how tall she has gotten. From a sound sleep she told us "Quiet! Go to sleep now."

I told her "All children grow, even baby JoanMarie is getting bigger. However you will always be my baby." I could see that she liked the thought of JoanMarie growing too. I think it is so amazing how her little brain works. She knows that when she was JoanMarie's age that she was not with me but there are times that she tried her best to recreate that time again in her life. We came home, I fed her a bottle and rocked her a bit then she fell asleep.

I think will pick up my text book for a little light reading about pulmonary disease processes...Night, night.

1 comment:

Jill and Cliff said...

You are a great mommy!!