Thursday, July 28, 2011

Adoption Tax credit...now I am mad

First off let me extend a big heart felt thank you to everyone who commented about my Mother and also to those who said a quick prayer for her. My Mother does read the blog and is blown away by you all. She has spent the last week with my sister Jackie mostly playing with her children. I expect her home tonight to prepare for our trip tomorrow.

I am not sure if it is because of the other life changing events in my life right now but now I am mad. Yesterday I made the decision to call about my refund. No this is the first time I have called. Yes, shame on me for not calling the minute that I got the first letter. Never did I think that it would take this long to get my refund back.

The letter I got a couple of weeks ago stated that there would be a decision about my refund by August 1, 2011. I read the letter to the tax advisor and he looked up my information. What were the results? No one has even begun to look at my information. His best estimate was that my case will not be seen for at least another 3-4 weeks. My return will not be processed for at least another 2-3 weeks after my case is closed.

Yes, I have now called the tax advocate and I am awaiting a return phone call. I guess I am just mad that I have practice patience and given the IRS the benefit of the doubt that they were working on this matter. Mark me down as being wrong. I guess I am just mad at the principle of the matter. Why send a letter saying I will hear something when in fact this is not the case? I guess I am just frustrated. Sorry to vent.

5 comments:

JennStar said...

Don't apologize for venting- that's what we're here for!! Sorry you got suck stinky news. The government is full of that kind of stuff, isn't!

Melissa said...

I hate to even think it but they probably aren't even looking at anyone's refunds since they can't seem to come to a compromise and pass a budget. Gotta love government, the only business where they get paid for doing nothing. UGH!
Melissa
P.S. HOpe Momma's ok.

Lisa said...

I feel your pain! I finally called for the first time last week. This week I got a letter saying we will hear by the end of Aug. Yesterday we got a letter saying we OWED money plus interest!! Another form in the same envelope said they needed a copy of the certified adoption certificate. That had never been requested before. I am so mad. I am going to call and get an advocate as well. This is just ridiculous! Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Very frustrating! ugh...

Laura said...

I'm with you, Joy. I called today for the very first time because the 2nd letter said we would hear something by the 3rd week in July. When I spoke to them, they had the gall to say: "Our examiners are spending so much time on the phones with clients about this adoption credit that they can't get to the files." I was flabergasted. Then she said our file hasn't yet been reviewed and we should call in 3-4 weeks to check the status.

So, I'm mad with you, girl. :(

~Laura

P.S. And I join the ranks of adding your mom to the prayer list!