Sunday, July 24, 2011

Adoption Tax credit...sigh

Well it has been months since I filed my taxes. I am pretty sure it was March. I felt a rush of excitement when I saw what I was expected to receive in my tax return. My thoughts quickly went to the credit card debt that I had accumulated for my travels to Russia. My imagination got even crazier. This would mark the first time that I might actually be able to realistically go part time.

I know working 3 days a week does not sound like much to many but the hours away from Anna are even harder now that she is attached. Many nights even on ones where I do not have to work I am asked if I am leaving. She just needs me here with her, she needs to know that I am right there if she needs me.

The spring was crazy, I had already decided back in January that we would be going to Disney for Anna's birthday. I knew that paying for this trip was not going to be a big deal because of the adoption tax credit...sigh. I love when things are stress free. I have lived many different ways in my life. At times I had more debt then I ever could have imagined but somehow I paid it all off. While waiting for Anna to come home I got used to having more money in the bank. By far that is the most comfortable feeling I have ever had as an adult.

My hopes of dropping down to part time were dashed when Gerard was laid off. Still months later I am waiting for my tax return like so many who have adopted right along with me. I have received the letters saying that it is delayed, it is being reviewed. I even got a letter saying I will hear something by August if they are not too busy.

At first I was mad. I wanted my money. I wanted to have this little bit of debt paid off. I wanted to be able to easily plan summer vacations and think about Anna's up coming birthday and just have that feeling back of having a little bit of money in the bank.

Then I became more mad realizing that my hopes for dropping to part time were gone. I will not lie, I yelled at Gerard once because he complained about being home and not being able to go to a job. I told him I had wished it was me who was laid off...sigh. I guess the reality is those plans were not meant to be.

If I had gotten the refund back in April I could be in a situation that is much worst with Gerard being laid off and me only working part time. The delay in the tax refund was God's plan for us. I admit today it was a better plan then putting in a pool or spending money on a couple of vacations. When and if I get the refund I think I will take the money and thoroughly think through what is the best decisions for our family.

I feel like it will still be awhile before I see my refund, if I see it at all. My feelings of being mad are gone and replaced with feelings of happiness because we are able to still live a very good life without the return. I do still yearn to be part time and hope that one day I will be able to do just that. For today I am happy I have a job to go to and that Gerard is able to care for Anna so well in my absence.

I am choosing to end my vacation early because I needed Tuesday off. I can not thank Lynn enough for our 4am conversation and her agreeing to switch with me. More on that on Tuesday mostly because I am having a hard time writing about what is on the horizon for us.

3 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Prayers for you all. . .hope Tuesday isn't as bad as I fear. . .praying you get that darned refund soon! I still cannot believe the IRS is doing this to you all!! Crazy.

Shelly and Steve said...

Our last letter from the IRS said we'd hear from them in Aug too after they review the add'l paperwork we sent (this is the second letter they've sent us saying its being reveiwed!). Its so frustrating. I just don't get it.

Melissa said...

Ugh! Hopefully the refund will get straightened out quickly. Thankfully we didn't seem to have any trouble. But then again we sent them a copy of just about every official looking paper we had when we first submitted our taxes.
Well, we have returned from vacation. Had a great time, now back to reality. Still working on ideas for another adoption and catching up on blogs. I love the photos of Anna. So cute! Perhaps we can meet up for a day trip to the Bronx Zoo in Aug. What do you think?
Melissa