Saturday, February 20, 2010

6 Months plus 1 day but who is counting?

When I was waiting for Anna I remember thinking how will it feel when she is here for a week, 6 months or a year? Well today marks that milestone of 6 months and yes 1 day. In my mind I had big plans for this post but once again life seems to get in the way.

Mostly our days consist of Anna and I at home together. I am not really sure she has gotten the concept of me working. My days are pretty randomly scheduled with the exception of my weekends. I have found that working 2 in a row is better for her and me. I will not kid you I am tired, really tired. Greg (Hans' Daddy) was over the other night after I had worked 2 in a row. He took one look at me and said "Wow you looked tired...Were you ever this tired before Anna?" To that question I laughed and told him no. He agreed, see Hans is only 9 months old and from time to time Jaime and Greg have watched her for me and I watch Hans for them. I not quite sure how this would have all worked out if I did not have them and of course Jillian too.

I hope to finish my attachment entry soon. Just a preview, I think we are doing really well. Attachment and bonding are hard even harder then I first thought.

So rather then talk about attachment I thought a run down of things I regret and things that I do not regret would be interesting.

I regret not taking a vacation before Anna came home. An easy vacation one where I could just relax would have done me some good. I regret not having the ability to bank sleep time. Even though this would be impossible it does sound like it would be so wonderful. I wish I had pushed my agency to get my court date faster. That is a surprise for me too...I still think Anna did not fair as well as I did in the time we were apart. My biggest regret is worrying about everything when she first came home. Worry is a waste of time and energy.

One of the biggest things that I do not regret is keeping Anna's world small. She still has no idea that toys come in a happy meal or that there are sections of stores that are devoted to toys. I have tried to limit the number of toys that I bought for her and the number that others try to buy for her. Anna is really learning to play and is starting to show signs of having a few favorite toys.

By far the biggest thing that I do not regret is adopting internationally. (Yes Amy I got your email and I am working on a more personal response)Anna is unique! Having gotten the opportunity to experience Anna's home country was such a memory that I will not forget. Loving Anna has made my life complete...watching her play gives me such joy in my heart.

4 comments:

Jane and Jim said...

Awesome post!
I agree that you should keep her world small - it totally works and there's plenty of time for her to enjoy all that that world has to offer.
Sleep - ah sleep. I've been told not to expect it until - well never again!
The vacation thing is a great idea too although, at that time in your life you're so anxious about the whole process and just want to get it overwith - so you can't really focus on yourself.
I also agree that our lives would be a lot more boring and a lot less rich had we not adopted internationally.
Happy 6 months + 1 day anniversary!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Joy, don't worry about doing special posts. . .honestly, I only do them if I have planned them for weeks ahead of time and then have time to write it--when Aidan is asleep! Sleep is totally not overrated, as us moms know. Sleep as much as you can so that when you are up with Anna, you can play to your hearts content! Have you figured out how to nap when she does? I never did. . .one of my regrets. . . : ) Sounds like you are doing awesome. What a joy these internationally born children bring to us!!!

Carrie said...

Happy 6 months and 1 day!! What a lucky little girl and a very lucky mom!!

Melissa said...

Amazing! 6 months for you. One year for us. I can remember feeling that time was standing still while we waited for our court dates. The time wouldn't pass and the days felt like weeks. Now, the days fly by and in some ways it feels like yesterday we came home. And I agree, adopting internationally may not be for everyone but I am thrilled we did. For all the cold nights, long flights, and the unknowns, we had a great experience. One that has changed us for ever. And we both came away with truly amazing, totally beautiful kids!
Melissa