Thursday, June 12, 2008

How much Russian do you speak??

I have to say the thought of being in another country and not being able to speak the language is a bit frightening for me. Anyone who has driven in my car knows that in my CD player right now is at least one conversational Russian CD. When I started this journey one of the things that I wanted to achieve was the ability to speak Russian.

I can tell you that I am failing. In the beginning I was actually listening to one of these CDs and was able to understand and then repeat the conversations. Gerard was even picking up some of the phases too. So today I went to the library to see if they had the Rosetta Stone courses in Russian. Well I am in luck they do however not for long. The contract expires in August 2008. I wonder how much Russian I will be able to understand is that short amount of time?

Oh I almost forgot I found a Russian Festival in Baltimore, MD in October. I was have made the decision that if I am not traveling I am going to make a long weekend and go.

Here is the link Russian Festival 2008

11 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Joy, I have the name of a CD program that you can get that is actually much more helpful. I'll email it to you when I get home. . .Don't sweat it! You'll be fine while in Country! When is that Festival??? We live less that two hours from Baltimore and would love to go to it and even meet you all there!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Hey Joy,
The book is called Simple Language for Adoptive Families. They have it in several languages, including Russian. It comes with a CD that you can put into your computer and then add to your iPod, which is what we did. The ISBN # is 978-0-9796813-3-2. I'm pretty sure you can order it through Amazon.com. Godd luck with it! It's really simple stuff and more the speed of what a 2 year old would know. . .

Unknown said...

Joy,
We are using the Russian Phrases for Children CD. I think it is great, if it would just sink in! I agree about being scared to be in a country without understanding the language. I visit Mexico frequently but am able to at least follow the conversations there & even that is frustrating. This ought to be a real eye opener.

Jane and Jim said...

I am so fortunate to have a hubby who has a degree in Russian Language (his mom was from Russia)so I'm not worried whilst we're there HOWEVER, when I'm home alone with the kiddo, I have nightmares of us just staring at each other not knowing what to say! YIKES!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

That is great that you are learning the language. I hope it is going well! We knew very little, and I think it would be good to learn more just to teach S some of the words as he gets older. I hope you are doing well!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy, I have been listening to the Pimleur cd's going to and from work and I love them! You can get used ones like I did on Amazon.com
I really love the Russian language. I hope I don't forget everything I have learned before we travel. Have fun learning! Teresa

PattiL said...

Oh your brave! I dont think I could do it.

Dede said...

If you take the time to learn the cyrillic alphabet that will help you a lot. We knew some of the common phrases and the Russian people seemed impressed that we attempted to speak their language. Being able to read the signs was a big help when we were on our own.

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

i didn't sell used slickers... it was the searcher shirt off my back, used, dirty, and i got 25 bucks for it!!

Anita said...

I'm sure it's challenging to learn a language that nobody around you speaks. Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition...

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I knew the Greek alphabet, from sorority days. . .and that helped! They use that alphabet plus a few letters that they made up.

Everything okay? No posts in a while! How's Dottie? Praying for you all. . .