Friday, March 14, 2008

Who Knew His Children Were Adopted?

I have started to put together the rest of the documents that I will need for the dossier for in between trips. I just had a feeling that some of these documents might be difficult to get after reading about how others are having a hard time getting the FBI clearance back in time. I am waiting to find out which region I have been assigned so I will know whether I need an FBI clearance or a state police clearance.

So I figured let me get some of the other ones done. I figured if I work on getting one a week done then life will be grand. So this week I decided to run other to the municipal building and get the proof of residence done. Sounds easily right? Wrong! I go into the offices and state my case to the clerk behind the counter and she tells me:

Clerk: "No, The Tax Assessor will not sign a document like this because he does not know that you live in the house."

Crazy Paper Pregnant Woman: "What do you mean? I have lived in this town and owned a residence here for 18 years? I pay my taxes!"

Clerk: "We do not know whether you REALLY live there maybe you live somewhere else?"

Crazy Paper Pregnant Woman: "If I lived somewhere else I would go that town for the paper to be signed! I vote in this town. All my bills go to this address. My home study for the adoption goes to this address. I live here."

Clerk: "Sorry we do not do this type of thing."

Crazy Paper Pregnant Woman: "Can I leave a note for the Tax Assessor or speak to him? May be if I explain it to him he will understand?"

Clerk: "You can leave the paper and your number but I am not sure when he will be able to get around to looking at this? He is a very busy man!"

CPPW: "What? Okay I will leave the stuff you and check back in 2 days."

I go to work and stew about it all night long (Working the nightshift). I develop my plan of action. Because I live in such a small town and Gerard is pretty politically active within the town he knows everyone and most of them owe him a favor. He tells me not to worry we will get it signed.

So I go home and go to bed. Around 1 pm (also known as 1am to a nightshift worker) the doorbell rings. I stumble out of bed throw on a robe and answer the door which I usually do not do. Guess who is there? The Tax Assessor! He starts off with apology and tells me he signed the paper and that he wanted to bring it to me so that I did not have to go back in to town. This is about a 1 mile drive.

Standing there I am thinking what is going on is this a dream? Am I crazy? How scary was I at the Tax Assessors office for him to hand deliver the paper? The answer is this is not a dream, I am not crazy, and I was not even that scary. He had adopted his 2 children about 15 years ago internationally. Apparently, we are one of the only couples in town who has or will be adopting recently. He apologized for the clerk after he heard what she told me. He told her to never do that again but to just call him and he would always sign those papers.

Wonderful Tax Assessor: "You brought back so many wonderful memories for me. Please bring the little one to the office when he gets here."

I know I am getting a bit long but thank God for the Tax Assessors. This has gotten me to thinking Jesus is truly watching over us. Jesus knew that the Tax collectors needed him and his guidance so that they could be saved and live a righteous life. I guess JC knows what he is doing!

13 comments:

Janine said...

That is a truly amazing story!! What are the chances of that happening? What a miracle that your tax assessor was also an adoptive parent.

Becky and Keith said...

Oh, Joy! What a great story! Living in a small town is such a nice thing sometimes and how great for him to personally deliver the paper!

Deb said...

What a beautiful story. One for the lifebook for sure.

Jane and Jim said...

Wow, that's awesome! GREAT story! and GREAT Tax Assessor!
Ours was the same way but we never did get it signed - this is our only doc we're having problems with.

ana said...

What a wonderful man! And it's definitely wonderful to see the power of God at work.

I know you're relieved you can cross that one off the list!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh my goss! Joy! We had the same exact experience! The only difference being was that our Tax Assessor was the one who had been adopted 30 or so years ago!

And I love the Paper Pregnant Crazy Woman title: Exactly how I have felt for over a year now!
Blessings!
Stacy

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Oh, Joy, this really touched my heart! You'll always remember this. It's so wonderful how God uses adoption to bring people together. You will now meet so many people who have been adopted or who have adopted children. It's so much fun getting to know people this way. What a blessing for you!

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

What a great story! Gave me chills. Something very similar happened for us with our bank - apparently the VP is an adoptive parent (20+ years ago) - he hand typed our letters while I waited and reminisced the entire hour. It's a great community, adoptive families.

cm

Troy and Rachel said...

That is a wonderful story and just validates what my thoughts are about people involved in the adoption world so to speak. What a wonderful community of support there is out there between adoptive parents. I am so glad you got the paper signed and in hand!!

Susan said...

That's a great story, what a good man. People like him make up for people like our USCIS officer Torres.

Christen L said...

That's an amazing story! How awesome is Mr Tax Man?!

Susan said...

I love this story!

And strangely, even in a big city like NY, where I live and many people adopt internationally, it's always an instant bond. Really amazing.

Anita said...

What a wonderful Tax Collector! I'm sure it was his priviledge to deliver it! Imagine, YOU made HIS day and he yours. That's so great!