Saturday, July 7, 2012

Finding the right balance

Gerard has heard my argument too many times but this week I think for the first time he has actually listened to me. I always feels as though Gerard and I are so busy that we are not taking enough time out for us as a family or us as a couple. Between school, my work schedule and Gerard's work schedule fitting in family time for us while Gerard is working 3-11 pm has been both easier and harder all at the same time.

We have been trying our best to keep one of his days off as just family time, usually Sunday but sometimes Monday. Even though I have a ton of homework to complete I am so close to being done with this class which is exciting. With each class I am getting better at managing my time. After Sunday I will only have 3 major projects to complete, 3 quizzes, 3 more short essays and 1 final exam. I know this sounds like a lot and it is but I am so excited that I am so close to being done. Each project has been taking me close to 10 hours to complete, Each quiz is 2 hours long and I have not even looked into how long the final exam is so this is the real reason why my blog has been pushed to the back burner.

I do have some fun things still planned for the summer that I WILL fit into my schedule. So today Anna is spending time with Gerard. She woke up with the idea that she NEEDS to go to Home Depot for a new bird feeder. We have been explaining things to Anna as steps. So for today here is the plan.

Step 1-Go get bagels
Step 2-Go to Papa's house to eat the bagels
Step 3-Take Papa to Home Depot for a new bird feeder
Step 4-Come home to Momma
Step 5- Go to the beach with Hans (She does not know about this step yet)

I have found that she is good with about 4 steps. This really seems to keep her on task and has helped her to stay in control when we need to do a couple of things. We have been giving her a little input as well. Gerard really wanted to do Step 3 first but Anna NEEDED to have Papa at Home Depot with her. Time with Papa is more important than saving time by going there first.


Tonight I hope to mark off week # 10 which will leave me with only 5 more weeks to go. Three weeks of class, one week is a study week, and one week to take my final exam then I am done woth the class.


My list of weekly projects for my class.


I can not believe how tall she has gotten.



Yes she wanted to put her hands up just like the big kids.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

She is getting so big! Good luck with your course work. I can't say I miss those days. In 5 weeks we should be in our new house and just about ready for school to begin- Kindergarten! Yikes! Ready to be in the new house but not for summer to be over. Way too much to do!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I am tired just reading the list of things you have to do. Good luck. It will pay off in the end.
Kathy C

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

You can do it Joy!!! Anna is really growing up into a lovely young lady. Totally understand about the balancing act! I can't even update my blog becaus I'm so bogged down with things needin to be done! Soon. . .I hope.