Monday, July 23, 2012

Her first fit!

Now I will never pretend that my child does not cry but for the most part we have been very lucky to have a child who is happy and does not whine...well that was until the other day. For the longest time I did not take Anna to the toy section in the store. My thought was why go there if you are not buying a toy? Seriously, I have tried to stop impulse buying of things that we just do not need. Not that Anna does not need toys because I do think that is important for children to grow their imaginations but they do not need a toy every time you go to the store.

I will say that I will indulge Anna with prizes from the gum ball machines but honestly she LOVES them. We have some gum ball machine toys that have been around for months. I mean like 6 or 7 months of active play and imagination. Like her purple lizard.

Yikes I am not sure what I would do if this got lost.



Her newest addition was billy bob teeth (these are her actual teeth)



With all of this being said Gerard never has had a problem taking Anna to the toy area just to look. Yesterday they did this mostly because it is close to the music area and Anna has been asking for a particular song pretty much nonstop in the car. I can use my phone to play it over and over but Gerard's truck does not have bluetooth or a smart phone so he does not have that option.

They walked through looked at the horses which is not a big surprise to me. Anna found one that she needed. They talked about it and came home. A couple of hours later she remembered the horse cam and found me to tell me " We need to go to mart to get the black horse...now!" Because I was not there I had no idea what she was talking about. Gerard came in and he told me the story about the black horse and what they talked about. This is where the melt down ensued.

Anna threw a full on fit! The first one ever that was just over a toy. Gerard and I sat there shocked. I held her we talked about the horse and started to read a few books about horses which helped. Later Gerard and I talked about it and remarked about sweet she was during the whole thing her heart felt like she needed the horse. It is hard not to buy your child everything that they want but learning a good balance is very important.

I was thinking it might be time to start a chore chart where she can earn money for things that she would like. 


3 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! Her first meltdown! Colby has a flair for the dramatic so we see them often. They are usually short and involve crying and yelling. I shoo him to bed to relax and calm down and then we will talk about what we can do different next time. You did a great job handling it and not making it too big of a deal.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

You are sooo very lucky to have a first melt down after years! Janet

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Aidan is dramatic too. Whiny!!! I NEED that truck!!!! Chores are awesome and a weeklyallowance is a great way to teach money. Aidan loves getting change back. . .he usually thinks he has morethan what he started with! : )