Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A visit to the toy store

I know this may sound strange but Anna does not frequent the toy area in many of our larger stores. Last year I was shamed into taking her to Toys R Us but only after my dear friend Geralyn reminded me of the things I would tell her children.

Prior to Anna coming and when Geralyn's children were much younger she would come to pick up her paycheck with the kids. We would all sit and talk a bit then I would promptly tell her children it was time for them to go so that Toys R Us did close before their Mother could get them there to pick out a toy. Yes, I am shameless. Her children still remember many trips to the toy store that I started. Now to be fair she would have probably taken them anyway because she loves the toy store as much as most children. Geralyn would always laugh because she knew it was coming.

Last year I took Anna to Toys R Us. I was prepared to buy her a toy of her choosing but instead we just played. At the end of our 2 hour trip she did not want any toy so we headed home. The two closest Toys R Us are at least a 30 minute drive from my home so for that is really the reason why we do not go often. I have been talking to Gerard about our preparations for the upcoming holidays and I told him that I wanted to go to Toys R Us with him to look at toys.

Our biggest challenge remains leaving Anna behind. We do just love having her with us all the time. At first I suggested asking if his parents could watch her. This is a big step because they have only ever watched her for an hour or less and only in a pinch. I thought about it and then said maybe they will want to come too. We asked them to accompany us to the toy store but to please watch Anna so Gerard and I could look at the toys and speak freely.

We were all excited about the idea. We told Anna we were going to the toy store and she beamed with excitement. She happily skipped into the store holding Grammy and Papa's hands. My little sweetie pie (she is now requesting that I call her this) looked, and played while Gerard and I also looked, and played.

At the end of our trip we told Anna she could pick a toy out to "Make our own." With determination in her step she marched directly for the dinosaurs but the pink and white unicorn is what won her heart. Dinosaurs are one of her new favorite things to play with so they have made the short list of potential gift ideas.

After our trip to the toy store we rounded out the evening of fun with a trip to my new favorite thing to eat...Frozen yogurt. When ever I visit Manhattan I can not resist going to the Pinkberry for frozen yogurt. In my area we have a couple of different self-service frozen yogurt shops that are also pretty good but the Pinkberry is the best. The caramel and peanut butter with sprinkle of seasalt are my favorites but the peppermint patty is also pretty good. Have you ever tried a dash of salt on ice cream? No really I am not crazy just try it once.

As for the new blog I promise to make it public at some point. Probably not until after the first of the year. There is quite a bit that still needs to be private about what is happening for a number of reasons. I have thought about perhaps opening it up to a few by invitation but I am still toying with that idea. I will say if everything works out I will make it public and it is going to be good. So for now you will all have to wait and see.

7 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Salt and caramel are always good together! The toy store visit sounds like it was awesome. . .we always end up in the toy section at Target so we never really think of going to Toys R US. . .perhaps we'll have to take your cue and go there with ice cream after! Perfect!!! And, whenever you are are ready, dear Joy. . .whenever you are ready. Do not rush anything. All in your time. Happy Thanksgiving a week early!!!

Melissa said...

Love your toy store trip. We usually make a similar one right after Thanksgiving to see what might grab Colby's attention and start asking him what Santa might bring for him. So far, no real set idea. Definitely understand about the new blog. I guess I'll try to be patient! But you do have me wondering.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your whatever it is that your new blog will be about!! Still enjoy reading your stories!!

JW

Bethany said...

haha...is it bad that I keep wondering what the blog is about...ugh. i'm so nosy!

Becky and Keith said...

We love the toy store! I do wish the aisles were wider because it gets so crowded and Andrew has to look at everything!! :-) Now is the time that you'll be able to buy her gifts with her there if you're sneaky enough. A few years from now, she'll be watching like a hawk. Hope all is okay!

JennStar said...

Girl, salt is good on almost everything! ;oP Have you tried the salted caramel mocha at Starbucks?? All I can say is "WOW!"
We like taking the kids to the toy store for ideas too. And they love going. And it's good (for us) not to leave with a toy each time we visit, so they know that sometimes it's just for fun and not always to buy.
Hope everything is going well. Anticipation always leaves me super curious!!!! But I'll be patient (only if I have to be! ;o)

Kristopher Gawron said...

I bet you and the kids had a wonderful time during your shopping at the toy store. It's unusual for a baby girl to be fond of dinosaurs and unicorn figures. But it's still cute, though. I wish you took some photos of those happy moments in the toy store.