Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sunflowers and random stuff.

A while back I wrote about the link between Russian history and sunflowers. Well one of our sunflowers has bloomed and I could not resist cutting it down to take pictures of Anna. These are not some of my favorite pictures of Anna but cute all the same. She has taken up whining, so we are working on not giving in when she whines. I am not sure where this is coming from but my hope is that this is just a very short phase she is going through right now.






My hope is to get a few pictures of her at the one room school house like I have the past 2 years. I love now and then pictures because you can really see just how much she has grown. Speaking of growth, she is getting so tall. We realized it the other day when she was riding her bike. We may even have to push the seat back some to accommodate her legs. She is still tiny and fits mostly into size 18 month or 2T shorts but no way will she fit into the 2t pants. I guess that is what happens when you start growing up.




Gerard surprised us this past weekend with a trip to our local Russian food store. I believe this is the first time Gerard has been to one with us. The store is about an hour away but I have had difficulty finding it. I know it is because the shopping plaza is small and that stretch of the road is usually very busy. I have driven past it a couple of times. We went on a Sunday which was really nice because initially we were the only ones in the store. When I told them my daughter was Russian they smiled. I told them how I was missing Russia and they laughed at me. We got to talking and they understood why I felt that way because Russia gave me such a gift.

We had been shopping and looking at all the different things in the store. A Russian couple came into the store. I heard the gentle man remark that we were Americans and he looked a little annoyed. I guess I should be offended but I just could not help but giggle to myself. I am pretty sure that I have never been referred to as an American while in the United States like he referred to me.

Gerard LOVES cookies. There are very few cookies that he does not like. As I was taking he was shopping. I love when he embraces the Russian culture like this. I think because he did not travel with me that connection is missing for him. If I can enhance that connection through cookies I will do what is necessary.

I bought some pickles as I always do when I am in a Russian food store. I also bought some pickles tomatoes, hopefully that will taste close to the ones I remember. We also bought some candy which Anna loves. I love knowing that in about an hours drive I can hear Russian accents and taste a little bit of Russia. We are so lucky.




I have a Russian friend at work who laughs when I say I want her to come to my house and teach me to cook. I am sure she thinks I am joking even though I am not. I will convince her one day. I also asked if I could video tape her reading some of the Russian stories I have for Anna. Perhaps she will let me share them on the blog as well.

6 comments:

Ms. Elaine said...

I love the pictures and I love sunflowers! Anna's dress is very sweet. Did you ever learn to smock and if so did you make this dress?

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Next year, when you come for the Embassy party, you all have to stay with us and we'll take you to the Russian store in Herndon. My father in law bought us Easter Egg dye last year!

Melissa said...

Wow! Anna looks so grown up in that one photo. Your post reminded me of the photos I have taken each year of Colby at the sunflower farm. The past 2 years we have found the same wood fence and he would sit on it for the photo. Guess we missed it this year. Not sure where summer went. My sunflowers haven't blossomed yet. Maybe soon.
Melissa

JennStar said...

Yes, you are lucky! We have a restaurant about an hour away and that's it! I have a tube of Russian mustard that I'm hanging onto and only use it sparingly! LOL!

Janet said...

Love the pictures of Anna! She is just so beautiful! Love how you do your best to never forget Russia by visiting stores, Embassy party etc. Janet

Anonymous said...

I am struck so at how much Anna looks like you Joy in that close-up picture!
Jean