Monday, June 27, 2011

You never know who you might meet!



Anna and my Mother
Where I live there is a local theater called Surflight. Here is a little know fact about me I used to sing and act. Not as much as my sister but I held my own. Last year Surflight was in financial trouble and almost closed its doors forever. I promised myself last year that if they were still open this year that I would take Anna to see at least one play.

The season has just opened for them and I was reminded that they have a children's theater so I took a look at the schedule. To my surprise there were a couple of plays that I thought Anna would enjoy. I had thought about taking Anna to see Lion King this summer but I do think she is still a little young for that trip. As luck would have it I was off last night and Sleeping Beauty was playing so yesterday morning I got out my debt card and purchased 3 tickets.

Anna loved the play. In my opinion it was a less scary version of the story which was very nice. The actors and actresses were all young which was so nice to see. As we waited for the play to start there was a young girl in front of us who was super excited because her younger sister was acting in the play. She watched the show with such enthusiasm. All I could think was how sweet she was being there for her younger sister.

We got to talking as I usually always do if there is a random stranger in a five foot radius of me as Gerard would say and low and behold she was an actual, honest to goodness star. Yup, we sat and watched the performance with the young girl who is the voice of the KoKo from the children's show Chuggington. Here is the write up about her in my local newspaper.



Brigid Harrington's Facebook page.
When my sisters and I were younger we were in a drama club called Our Gang Drama. It was a fun activity. As we were talking I told her about how I was in the first version of Christmas Under the Sea. A play written by the director of Our Gang Drama, Sherry. Funny I remember my sister was a mermaid and my other was a starfish but for the life of me I can not remember what I was. The actors and actresses in the play did such a wonderful job that I have pulled out my master schedule book and will be buying up some tickets for other performances.

Brigid Harrington also is appearing on Broadway in the musical Mary Poppins. Perhaps I will talk my one sister into going with me, that was her favorite play.

Anna watched the play with such emotion. When the "Bad lady" as she called her was on I could feel her tense up. She sat on my lap the whole time. I know she loved it. When the "Bad lady" left the stage she told me it was 'Okay'. During the curtain call Anna yelled and clapped for everyone except the "Bad Lady" She put her hands down on her lap and waited. Anna even mustered up the nerve to ask he "Bad Lady" for an autograph, who by the way was a very nice lady.

After the show they all signed autographs and me being the ill prepared and haphazard person who I am according to Gerard had nothing for them to sign. A little quick thinking and I had them all sign her ticket. Anna LOVED Prince Philip. He was her favorite of course.

What a wonderful night! Here are all the future stars.



"Bad Lady" in case you were wondering


This is Brigid Harrington little sister, a star in the making

No comments: