Monday, June 13, 2011

Has it been a week? Really? Potty talk!

First off thank you all for your comments about where or not to be tested. I am strongly leaning towards being tested because I am one of those people who really does not like a surprise. What a busy week we have had. I was waiting to post because I wanted to put in some new pictures of Anna but I just have not had time to up take or upload them.

We are starting to fall into a routine now that I am back to school. Gerard has been wonderful to me by taking Anna with him pretty much all the time so that I can figure out this new school. I can see that two classes is one class too many for me. Thankfully I had already decided that I only wanted to take one at a time from this point out.


Working hard in my office
(I wish I was one of those people who take a neat picture of myself)

Going to school this time around brings back so many memories of the first time I went to college. Gerard was so supportive then as he is now. I have always said without him I would never have finished my first degree.

Gerard has been on a interview that we are praying about. If you could say a little one for him I would appreciate it.

Other BIG news is I think Anna may be done with diapers! We have been working on this since about April. I am sad and happy to see my baby grow up so fast. Last August Anna had decided she was wanted to start to potty train by going into the bathroom and using the potty occasionally. Once pre-school started she wanted nothing to do with potty training. She would cry anytime I would ask so I let it go.

I have never seen the reason why so many parents rush to potty train. In honesty I believe Anna was bowel and bladder trained before she came home from the baby home which is different then being potty trained. Last August Anna did not have the speech to tell me she had to use the potty which made it more difficult. Anna had less then 50 words at 3 years of age with very little speech that was spontaneous.

Okay so back to last week, I started to put underwear on over her diaper. If she were home with me then it was just underwear. Rather then setting a timer I took her to the bathroom every time I had to go. Towards the end of the week I could see when she was starting to feel like she had to go potty so I would take her in and she would go. She has had only one accident with Gerard at his parent's house. They both decided a bath would fix the problem, then dressed and straight home to tell me about it.

Last night was the first night Anna slept without a diaper! I am so proud of her. For now she is only using the potty for my Mother, La-La, Me-Me and myself. She still refuses at school but that will come with time. Thank goodness my Mother was able to find tiny underwear.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

YEAH! What a big girl. I will say that when Colby started he would only go potty at home. Even today he doesn't like to go at school and we have some problems making him go #2. I think it is more of a control issue. A few people have mentioned that it is a common thing with boys. But, what a HUGE step for Anna. So proud!!
Melissa

Janet said...

Glad you are not pushing the potty thing with Anna. I also share your view! Good luck with school! Janet

Elana E said...

I'm another mom who doesn't understand the rush to potty train. My son was 3 and a half before I even tried and really it only was about a week and we were done with diapers. Much better than some of my friends who started at 2 and were battling their little ones for a year or more!