Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blue...Green...Red

First off Anna has had a virus and I have been so tired too. No real reason for not blogging but that we have all been tired.

As a child in the grocery store my younger sister would walk through the store and try and hop from one color to the next without touching the main color. With quite a bit of certainty I am sure this annoyed my Mother. Please remember that Jenny and I are number 5 and 6 so she had many years of these little games being played with she was busy trying to get some thing done in a hurry.

I will also admit that I can not walk through a grocery store without thinking about that game or the time I squirted liquid soap up Jenny's nose but that was an accident. How cool is it that Anna has started to play these little games too.

Here is how is started. Gerard picks up Anna when I sleep during the day from school. What is neat is he always tries to do some thing that she like for example he visits with his parents, takes her to walk on the sand beach by the bay to feed the seagulls, play ground. This is all fine and good but many of "his" activities are outside activities which become hard when you have so much snow on the ground.

So Gerard started to take to to the bank. I love a good drive through but Gerard hates drive through windows in pretty much every case. The process of taking Anna to the bank can be at least 30-40 minutes. All week long Gerard will save his change in a zip lock bag. He has never been a big spender of change. He keeps the standard mix of 3 quarters, 4 dimes and 3 nickels and 4 pennies in his pocket.

Yes I know it is a bit obsessive but if that makes the world right in his mind I really do not care. (Sorry off topic.) Anna LOVES change. She always has loved change. We have multiple piggy banks, some with no access to get the money back out and some that I have made with juice bottles. We even have piggy banks that talk.

So Gerard told me the other day that he is going to start to mix up which bank he goes to because Anna now can not drive past the bank without wanting to go. Which is funny but I found out the real reason is because now the minute he walks in with her she is like an ambassador, waving "Hi" to all the tellers and they even know her name. As a game while she waits she steps on the different colored pieces of flooring and yells out the color. No she is not usually right but she says it with confidence. Gerard is super shy and the fact that anyone knows his name or knows his routines is a little stressful to him. Anna is more like me I am guessing and does not care about that stuff.

Which brings me to the other day. I needed stuff in the grocery store, the carts were all wet so for the first time I let her walk in the store. Once she saw the floor her eyes lite up and the game started. Blue...red...green and each time looking at me to see if she was right. This made me laugh and I loved it. How did she learn this game all on her own? She amazes me every day.

Oh and they have saved close to 400 dollars this way which also amazes me.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

They do surprise us. I'm not sure where they learn these games but Colby knows them all too. His favorite thing to do is go to the bank as well. No colors on the floor but he does get a lollipop. They all know him by name and the head manager even calls him the boss. If we go without him they all ask where he is. Too much!
Melissa

Troy and Rachel said...

How fun!! Daniel loves to stay on one certain color - he calls it a train track and whooshes along. I think it's great! Gerard sounds like a great dad!!

amy said...

Cute story! I can picture her hopping from color to color :)

My husband collects all his change but I have to be very careful and hide it from Clara ~ she always wants to put the coins in her mouth. Looking forward to the day she stops doing that!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Absolute cuteness!!! Isn't it funny the things our little people come up with that we used to do??? Almost like it's genetic or something. . . : ) Looking forward to seeing you all again at the Easter party!! Do you need accomodations???