Tuesday, February 8, 2011

She is perfect...(Prayer request)

"She is perfect" were words that I used when I stood in front of the judge in Cheboksary during my court hearing. At first, I saw the Orphanage Director's face drop a little bit. Through the interpreter I explained that I fully understood Anna's medical history. I understood what each and every medical condition she had was and what I could potentially be faced with in the future. I had each diagnosis memorized. Anna was very small about 19 lbs at 2 years old, size 3 toddler shoes were big on her. If I had used an international adoption doctor I am certain that I would have been recommended to pass on this referral based on her size. Even today Anna remains small and is now just fitting into size 2T clothes and we have just moved up to a size 6 shoe.

These very words "She is perfect" can be the end of an adoption in terms of an international adoption from Russia. In order for a child to qualify for international adoption the child must have a medical condition or some type of disorder. I then explained to the judge what I meant when I said "She is perfect." What I meant was Anna was perfect for me because despite her challenges I already loved her. I told the judge she may not be perfect medically but in my eyes she is perfect. I then asked the judge "Shouldn't a Mother think her child is perfect no matter what their challenges are?" I looked at the Orphanage Director she had a very small smile on her face and looked away from the judge. It was after this explanation that my five hours court case ended.

Many prospective adoptive parents choose to have the medical information, video and pictures reviewed by an international adoption doctor. These doctors specialize in reading the medical information and spotting possible issues such as fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. I believe that you should never go into a situation with your eyes closed. But what about when you know there is a problem?

I did not have Anna's information reviewed by an international doctor. That was my choice. I believed that I would be able to tell whether or not she was a good referral on my own. This was risky but a risk I was willing to take. To be honest even if she was not as "perfect" as she was Gerard and I had already discussed that we were going to accept this referral for many reasons, the first being that if we had gotten pregnant we would not have the option of reviewing her medical information before she was born.

So why am I writing about this now? Well, last night I received an email from a reader. If I had the energy to answer it right then and there I would have but I was up sick much of the night which always shocks me when I am sick because I am NEVER sick. In this email I was told of a child who is currently in Russia and in need of a permanent home. Bethany told me this child has a disorder with the initials of EB or Epidermolysis Bullosa. My mind flashed instantly to a blog that I had read a couple of times before Anna came home. I remember praying for this little boy in the blog because at that point in time he was quite sick. I believe that Jonah has done so well because of the prayers that have been said for him and the special care that his parents give him everyday. Jonah's parents put his needs first but Anton does not have parents who are willing or perhaps able to do that for him. I am not judging his birth parents because I have not walked in their shoes.

Anton, the little Russian boy is being cared for in a Russian hospital but may soon be moved to an orphanage where he runs the risk of infections that could claim his life. From what I know of this disorder this condition is very painful. My heart aches for this child and all the other children who have this disorder. Here is what I am asking if perhaps you are considering adopting, please keep in mind that there is no perfect child out there just a child that could be perfect for you. Here are a few links that I was provided with about Anton.

A call for help First link.

Anton's Facebook page

After connecting to Jonah's blog I see that Anton has been accepted by Reese's Rainbow. If you would like to help with the expenses associated with helping Anton to be adopted this is a good way to donate. So here are the facts we need one good family for Anton and some funds to help defer the cost associated with his adoption. If a bunch of us donate to his adoption fund perhaps that family will surface faster. I plan on donating. I know of at least one other child who was adopted through Reese's Rainbow and perhaps you all do too. Dennis from Smiles and Trials

Anton's page on Reese's Rainbow

I think the most important thing that each and every one of us can do that is free is to include Anton in our prayers. We can pray for a family to step up and take him forever. We can pray for a cure for this disorder. We can pray that he stays free from pain.

Bethany thank you so much for emailing me.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

just FYI, Dennis has a brother who was also adopted through there - Alex, who has Spina Bifida.

i read about Anton a few weeks ago & my heart BROKE because i too follow Jonah and a boy named Tripp. i can't imagine that poor little boy NOT having parents that do all the things these parents do! the bandages, making sure the environment around them is safe, pain management... poor baby boy!

Bethany said...

Oh Joy, thank you so much for reading my email and posting about Anton. I want as many people as possible to hear about Anton and i pray that one of these people will feel called to adopt him. Thank you so much.

Rich and Jolynn said...

Praying for Anton and that he will have a new family very soon!

Troy and Rachel said...

We too felt Daniel was perfect even knowing his medical and the fact that he would need surgery upon return home, but we didn't give it much thought b/c we felt like any child born to us could have had the same condition. We'll be Praying for Anton and for the right family to come forward for him.

Janet said...

I am praying for a family to give Anton a forever family! Thanks for posting about this Joy! Janet