Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Plans are set!

For those of you who know me in real life I am sure that the one thing you would all agree upon is I tend to wear people out when I am excited about something. I am officially wearing out my friends at work with my up coming vacation. I just know the minute I walk out of the room they are thinking "thank goodness for the quiet" I am both a planner and a pretty spontaneous person if a person can be both. I love last minute trips, parties, get togethers but I also love the more planned and structured events that life has to offer. My dear friend Geralyn laughs at me because as much as she loves to stay at home is as much as I love to be busy out and about.

Last year at the drop of the hat I decided that Disney was the place we NEEDED to celebrate Anna's 3rd birthday. The trip was reasonable with the exception of the 10 day non expiring, park hopper, resort and water park tickets. I am still pretty sure that I have not confessed to Gerard the amount. I go with the theory he did not ask so why tell on that little purchase.

I know this is an over used line but our trip to Walt Disney World was magical. Anna had no idea where we were until we saw the first character. I am shameless and yes I let Anna watch all the Disney movies. She loves them and I do too. I do find it amazing that in each movie when the prince comes onto the screen she points and says "Daddy."

Anna's latest favorite is Beauty and the Beast. To be honest I had never seen this one before Anna was home. Yes, I knew who Belle was and the general story but I never saw the movie. I will also admit that I became a little teary eyes the other day when Gerard walked in during the last 5 minutes of the movie because as usual Anna called him straight over to hold her.

As Belle and the Beast started to dance in the final scene Anna grabbed his hand and made him dance with her in the kitchen. She insisted that he twirl her around and sway back and forth, all while she was doing her best to sing to him the song that was playing. I could not help to picture the day that one day she may get married and he will dance with her in her wedding gown. I think he even got a little choked up.

Gerard's Father I think was a little sad that we took Anna to Disney without him the first time. I am not defending my choice but at times I felt like my little family (Gerard, Anna and I) were not clearly defined and I needed our family vacation to be just us. I also think that when you become a parent later in life you might need a little bit more time to adjust to your new normal life. Change is hard after all.

We have also been trying our best to live up to my New Year's Resolution of eating dinner at home as a family. In our dinning room is a picture of the three of us in front of the castle. I set the table, call them in to sit down and like clock work Anna looks over to the picture and says "Anna go Florida...there...castle...Mickey" This has been going on for weeks. I have broken under the pressure.

I booked Disney for her birthday again! As much as I loved our last trip this trip will be a little different because I have time to book the character meals that we want to do. I have also decided we are going to stay in Disney again. We booked with the meal plan so I feel like I know how much I need to save for the trip. I have also booked rooms for Gerard's parents and my Mother. We decided that instead of gifts for all the holidays this year we will put towards their trip to Disney with us.

I know Gerard's Father will be overcome with emotion when he sees how excited she is to see the characters. I struggled with the thought of booking the trip for my Mother because between the heat and the walking this will be a very difficult trip for her to make but then I asked myself if not now then when? So she is going as well.

Little do they know I will be packing their days full of fun and exciting things to do while we are there. Here is the funny thing about this, my friends think they are all crazy to even consider going to Disney with me! I know it will be a great time and we will be able to make wonderful memories too. Have I said how lucky I feel?

9 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

We're going to Disney Land in July! I can't wait to show Aidan where it all started. . .and this is where mama went as a little girl. . .have fun!!!

Kellie said...

So exciting! We are planning our Disney in June/July this year.
Send me an email or FB with your dates. It would be fun if we were there at the same time. I am going to need some 'Jersey' advice sooner than later. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Joy, if you are concerned about your mother walking. Consider renting her a scooter. There are medical supply places that will deliver them right to the hotel and pick them up after you check out. The buses are all equiped for them. It ran us around $200 for the week , I think, but it was money well spent.

JennStar said...

Well, you know a bit of how much we LOVE that mouse! So excited you guys are coming for another trip. The 2nd and beyond are always easier, I think, because you have the experience to help you make even better decisions. And we love the dining plan! You are just overwheled with food! LOL! If you have any questions- you know I'm happy to answer them! :o)

Barb said...

I am so jealous! Have a great time!

I just loved the story of Anna and Gerard dancing:)

Beth said...

Have a blast!! I can not wait to take my 2 boys to Disney. We are going to FLA in a few weeks to visit my dad but I think Feb school vacation is to crazy there so I will wait. And about the tickets if they do not expire do not worry about it you will use them!!!! Can not wait to see pictures of your trip and I think it is WONDERFUL you are going with Anna's grandparetns

Beth

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

We LOVE Disney too! We used to go every September, but now go in October to plan around the kids' Fall Break. We really liked September because the parks are much less crowded and it is still warm enough to enjoy the water parks too. Someone suggested renting a scooter for your mom and I think that would be a great idea, but you can also rent a wheelchair at the parks too. We took my step daughter one year after she had back surgery. Even though she didn't need it the entire time, we were sooo glad we had it when her back started to ache and she was having a hard time keeping with us. Plus, bonus, you get to go to the front of ALL the lines and have special front row seating at shows! HAVE FUN and email me if you need any Disney tips!

Scott said...

Disney sounds like a great way to spend some vacation time. We have talked about it and we were trying to figure out if our kids are to young to enjoy it but it sounds like Anna really does.

I miss your posts in your photo blog. You have some really nice photos of Anna in there, I especially like the last black and white one you posted of her and the way the light is lighting her up from behind, really nicely done.

I started my own photo blog a few weeks ago. I sometimes struggle with what to photograph each day but the kids do provide a great subject.

Anonymous said...

Some things that would clearly define your family is for you and Gerard to marry and for Gerard to adopt Anna. You spoke of Anna and Gerard dancing at her wedding... your marriage to Gerard would give Anna stability and an example to follow. Marriage is so much more than a piece of paper. Just because others fail at it doesn't mean you will. It is all about commitment. Best wishes!