Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Still running

So what have I been up to? Well do you remember back in February I admitted that I wanted to become a runner? Well with the help of an app on my cellular phone I am achieving that goal. The app that I purchased is called Run Double. There are a number of different programs on this app that are all for the purposed of helping you to run.

This app using the C25K method of training for running. I think the hardest part of learning to run is learning how to keep a pace that you can achieve your goal. For me this app is working. This morning I completed Week #6 Day #2. This consisted of a 54 minute warm up, 10 minutes of running, 2 minute brisk walk, 10 minutes running and than a 5 minute cool down. For those of you who run I know this might not sound like a lot but it is. For those of you who want to be runners or to start running this is very doable.

The theory behind this app is that you start out slow, very slow. The first week I was alternating between 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking for 30 minutes. The app increases the running time but not by much. The program changes it up for you as well. There is a GPS componet that you can use that will tell you how fast you are running and the distance.

Here are the numbers from my first timed run
Week #1 Day #2 on February 13, 2012
Overall pace running (not including the warm up and cool down) 14 minutes 38 seconds
Time running 18 minutes 30 seconds
Distance of 1.26 miles
Fastest interval 12 minutes 6 seconds
Longest distance .1 miles.

Here are the numbers from today
Week #6 Day #2 on March 20, 2012
Overall pace running (not including the warm up and cool down) 13 minutes 29 seconds
Time running 23 minutes
Distance of 1.71 miles
Fastest interval 13 minutes flat (okay I just like the way the word flat sounds there)
Longest distance 0.77 miles

So in six short weeks I can run over 3/4 of a mile without stopping! This is a big deal for me. I never thought it was possible or that you had to learn to run. I want you all to know that it is possible and I am learning to run.

Total weight loss is 11 lbs. I have also been watching my diet. I have been using another cellular phone app for that as well. This one is called My Fitness Pal. Basically, it is a free calorie counter. The program lets you input what you have eaten and keeps track of you calories. For anyone who is diabetic this would be PERFECT! The app calculates the number of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. I can not say enough wonderful things about this app. If you do not have a smart phone than this is also available free on line.

It does take a little bit of time to find everything but I have fooled around with it enough for it to really be helpful to me. I have completed 40 days of tracking my food intake. I even have put in the Reece's cups that I ate last night. I think it has just made me think and plan a little bit more as to what I am eating.

Next post will be about how my running has impacted Anna.

2 comments:

JennStar said...

Good girl!! So proud of you! This is exactly how I started, so I completely understand the progress! Keep it up!
I'm using My Fitness Pal, too. Trying to shed these few pounds that have crept up when I stopped running (but was eating like I was still running! LOL!) My favorite part is the barcode scanner to log my food! ;o)

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Yeah!! Good for you!! Inspires me to keep on with my plans. . .you go girl! Plus, this will help Anna know how important it is to stay fit. Keep it up!!!