Monday, January 23, 2012

Birthdays, Birthdays, and more Birthdays!

This past weekend Anna had two birthday parties. Much to my dismay I have become that Mother who does not respond to the invitation in a timely manner. How did that happen? I used to be the first person to call or RSVP for a party...any party for that matter. Now I am the one that others have to call to see if we are coming.

I think part of the difference now is I look at the clock and imagine the other parents, eating dinner, bathing the kids, and starting the bedtime routine. Since most days I sleep in, it leaves only a small window for me to respond. I know this sounds like an excuse and quite frankly I think it is a big fat excuse. I am making it my mission to respond early to the next invitation that comes my way.

This time of the year is hard for me because I know my own birthday is approaching and along with that sadness. I promised myself last year was the last time I was going to be sad for my birthday. Honestly I am doing pretty good this year. I have had a few quiet moments mostly because I see myself is a parallel situation with some very close people whose Father is ill. He is a very young man who has cancer. I have not asked if it is okay to blog about it with more details but I will. I will say I love him as a brother so for me it is even more difficult. I can feel the tears coming on as I write this but that is not what this post is about tonight.

Back to the fun of a weekend filled with birthday parties. On Saturday Anna had a party at Bounce U for a class mate. I had a ton of homework and a paper due so Gerard took Anna. I can hardly believe that I am already 4 weeks into this class, 12 more to go. Gerard has never been to Bounce U or met Anthony (Anna's self proclaimed husband). Anthony's Father was also at the party so he and Gerard hung out so to speak. Gerard is very quiet, so I am sure there was a ton of head nodding and not much talking. Gerard did not come home with nearly the amount of information about Anthony or his family that I would have...sigh! Yes, I am a 50 questions girl, I know it is bad.

Gerard was a bit shocked by the party. I think even though I tried to explain how big the slides were he just did not believe me. Okay he never believes me even when he knows I am right he will tell me I am wrong and laugh. So throughout the party I got pictures of Anna and Anthony sent to me and even a small video of the two holding hands going down a slide. After the party they went to Papa and Grammy's house for a visit while I finished reading and writing which by the way I should be doing now but this is more fun.

I had hoped to finish the paper and have it submitted on Saturday night but I just could not finish it. I worked Saturday night at my second job which is a home care case so I took my computer with me and worked during my down time. Sitting in silence in someone else's house while everyone sleeps is PAINFUL for me. I love the case but I am not sure I will ever feel comfortable working in that environment. I will say it does give me much needed study time.

When I got home and into bed I was able to convince Anna it was the middle of the night and that she needed to sleep. This bought me a 1 hour and 15 minute power nap. Once Gerard was home from the gym I got another 1 1/2 hours of sleep. Just enough to be able to take Anna to the second party of the weekend. This was a last minute party of a friend from work and I really wanted to be the one taking her. Another co-worker with a little girl Anna's age was going so I knew we would have fun.

This party was at a pool. When I told Anna I thought she was going to burst with excitement. On the drive to the party I realized I am a bit of a mess. When did I stop carrying a purse? I now only carry school bags stuffed with books. Only 11 more semesters to go which equals 4 more years, honestly who thought going back to school was a good idea? Oh I forgot me.

It is no secret that I sweat when ever I take Anna in public. If she acts up, it is over for me. I feel my own anxiety level climbing. If Anna had a meltdown I am sure I would just be a puddle of sweat. For some reason Anna just does not act up for anyone but me. I know it is because she feels safe but still it makes me a wreck. Before we left the house I sat Anna down and we had a long talk about behavior. Okay it was maybe 2 minutes but that is long for a 4 year old.

I told her she had to listen or we were leaving the pool. Water is scary stuff and not listening near a pool or the ocean is not an option. Would I have plucked her out of the pool and taken her home wet...yup because that is how strongly I feel about good behavior near water. I have to say I was shocked by Anna's behavior she is really getting it lately.

The life guard told them to line up and she did while telling others about having good behavior near the water. They marched straight past the pool into the dressing area, I put her life vest on and told her she could sit at the edge of the pool with the other kids. Her vest as a handle on the back and even with little sleep I knew I could pluck all 28 lbs of her out of the water. The life guard made each child swim across the pool to see their ability then the party started. During Anna's swim test she looked back and said "Momma, I am Nemo!" We had a wonderful time.

I was shocked by how well Anna listened. I praised her for her good behavior as I always do but I love that it is all clicking. I need to expect more from her on the behavior front.

On a side note
Julie W. I am so glad to hear from you. You are still in my prayers.
Janet, I still have a few things to tie up about the other blog but believe me I will share it when I can. I am struggling with the thought of sending out invitations to the blog before the big reveal or just making it public all at once. I promise when I can open it up I will.

4 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Don't you just love it when they actually listen and do as you ask??? 28 punds! Anna has grown some. . .but she has a ways to go to catch up to my big boy of 52 pounds!! : ) Good luck with the studying. . .never easy, but it will be worth it in the end.

Melissa said...

Yeah for Anna! It sounds like you are keeping very busy and I bet both parties were lots of fun.It is so nice to see when our kids actually listen. And you are right, they only act up for us. I guess we can say that we are doing a great job at this parenting thing if we can trust our kids to behave without us there. I often hear how wonderful Colby is when he goes out without me. I am so proud but I wish he'd be that way with us too. Oh well. Good luck with school and I can't wait to hear more about your other blog. I had almost forgotten about it.
Melissa

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

Look forward to reading your new blog! So what did Gerard think of Anna"s boyfriend? It is too funny about Anna talking to the kids about good behavior brings back alot of memories when my daughter was that age! Janet