Sunday, September 8, 2013

The first day of kindergarten

The long awaited first day of kindergarten snuck up on me this past week. How is it possible that she is old enough to go to kindergarten. Didn't she just come home from Russia yesterday? Well I guess time flies when you least expect it. In the past I would pick out all of her outfits but I know the time is coming when she will no longer let me pick them out. I savored picking out her outfit for the first day.

We decided on a cute little sweater dress with a pair of grey leggings. She decided on her sparkly silver shoes. We decided together that her hair should be pulled back in the front so that it is easy for her to see. The night before I made sure she had a nice long bath to rinse off all the summer time fun that we had. I ensured that her nails were clean and clipped. We talked about how having a good routine will be very important for us because she will need to be to school very early.
Preschool started at 9:30 am but kindergarten starts at 7:45 am...YIKES that is early is all I could think. I think setting her clothes out the night before is an important first step to letting her pick out her own clothes. Tonight we decided on her outfit together and made sure it was in an easy access spot for her.

After the first day of school she came home very excited but she did shed a few tears because she was missing a few of her friends. She told me that she asked the teacher to drive to the other school to pick them up. I can tell this teacher is a no-nonsense teacher which I do believe it good. Anna came home mimicking her (not is a bad way) when she was telling me about the rules. I have not met the teacher yet.

The first night I got a boat load of papers to fill out with the appropriate contact information in the event of an emergency and so forth. I was a bit rushed and did not get it completed. Friday night we (yes I do mean we) got our first homework assignment. She has to fill out 2 sheets that describe her favorite things. I must supervise her that it where the we comes in. The note attached said that this was a graded assignment. YIKES! A graded assignment already. I had a bit of anxiety wash over me. The perfectionism in me immediately took over. I took a deep breath and made the decision that this is really Anna's assignment and I am the supervisor of time management and making sure that the criteria is met. I have a feeling that I will be taking many deep breaths in the future when it comes to homework. The assignment is due this coming Friday. I have made the decision that we need to be complete this assignment early if possible. I want to save procrastination for my own homework.
Anna and I decided on a few pictures that she would like to include on the project. We have shopped for some horse stickers. So tomorrow I think we will start to put the project together.
Here are some pictures from her first day.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your first assignment....each of you.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Very awesome. . .and yes, the deep breath is very helpful with those homework assignments!

Anna looks adorable for her first day of school pix! But, she always looks adorable.

Laura said...

Oh, Anna -- you are getting so big, sweetie!!! Congrats on being a big girl in Kindergarten. Have fun! :)

~Kristina's mommy