Sunday, September 22, 2013

Anna's Birthday!

Has it really been this long since I have written something down. Oh not good. Sunday we celebrated Anna's birthday. How is it possible that she has turned 6? We decided on a bowling party this year. I had invited her class but only 3 children came to the party. I had mixed emotions about only 3 children attending but in the end I was so happy. Of course Julia, JoanMarie and Hans came to the party. I had already knew the one parent and the other two parents were very nice. I thought it was pretty cute that more fathers were at the party than mothers. It is a silly observation since I usually send Gerard to the parties so I can get school work done.

The funny thing that happened at Anna's party was her cake was a Rapunzel cake with her hair being the icing wrapped all around the cake. The children kept saying "I want hair on my cake!"
It just sounds like such an odd request until you saw the cake.

School for Anna is way different this year. She has to be there by 7:45 which is pretty early in my opinion but she gets out at about 2:30 which is actually better than I thought because it give us time to do homework before I go to work. Oh yes she has homework every day. Mostly reading but last week she had some math homework too. I have made her a lesson plan book. What I do is slip any homework that does not need to be returned into a plastic sleeve and I let her use dry erase markers to complete it.

We have made a couple of trips to the library for new reading books. We are encouraged to practice reading every night for a minimum of 30 minutes. There have been times when she is not too excited about it but usually if I start reading aloud she becomes interested.

I am getting back in the swing of my own schooling. I am only taking one class this semester and it feels so different from last semester when I had to take two classes. My goal is to get into a routine where I am getting all my work done when she is in school. So far it is working. I have completed 3 weeks and I only have another 12 to go. If I power through I will be set to graduate in the spring of 2015. I would really like to next summer off however so we will see. I am just not in a rush to get it done. The last year I will be required to work in a physician's office part time. I am not quite sure how I will be fitting that into my schedule yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can email me some cake at least...
Bspector@rogers.blackberry.net
Best of luck with school, and the early starts to the morning.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Interesting how the kids have so much homework, isn't it? You should see what Aidan has to do for Second Grade. Yikes! I don't remember having homework like this. . .but I wasn't learning things like he's learning either! Our kids will be smarter than us! : ) I hope so in my case at least! Good luck with your school too! You're such an inspiration.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Interesting how the kids have so much homework, isn't it? You should see what Aidan has to do for Second Grade. Yikes! I don't remember having homework like this. . .but I wasn't learning things like he's learning either! Our kids will be smarter than us! : ) I hope so in my case at least! Good luck with your school too! You're such an inspiration.