Saturday, May 21, 2011

Taxes...Oh Boy

I know I am not alone when I say "Oh Boy this years taxes!" This is the second year that I am to claim the adoption credit and what a mess it has been. This year is so different. Last year I did the taxes sent them in electronically and boom my refund was in my bank account a couple of weeks later.

This year there were many differences right off the bat. I had to file a paper return. Okay no problem there I did. This year I had to include an adoption decree and Anna's Visa. Okay I did but in the pit of my stomach I felt a pang of I really do not like this feeling. I waited and waited and no refund.

Many weeks later I received a partial refund, mind you I filed in March. I waited and waited to hear something more about what my next steps should be. Then I got the letter saying they were reviewing my return and I would be contacted if additional information was needed. The following week I got the letter asking for receipts.

So this past week, I spent a little over 30 dollars for the copying and close to 19 dollars for the postage but I have now sent in every receipt I have so that the IRS can examine them. I pulled out my adoption binder and so many feeling came out with it. Please wish the person who examines them good luck,the stack of receipts is tremendous.


Yes this is volume 2, I have another just like it but that one does not have receipts mostly educational information.


This is the envelope they wanted me to use to send this back to them. It made me laugh and feel a little sick all at once.

Anna is adopted, this is a fact I have never kept from her. She has heard the word adoption many times. If some one is interested in adopting or has adopted I am very open about my experience in the right setting. I prefer to field questions of a sensitive nature in a somewhat private setting. Gerard prefers that no one ask and he would never answer their questions, usually he just walks away. We differ in how we respond to questions for a bunch of reasons. I feel like I asked so many questions when I was going through the process that I owe it to others to answer questions asked of me.

My adoption books used to sit in the dinning room, right of the hutch when I was waiting for Anna to come home. I had tried to put them away a number of times but for some reason this paperwork was my only connection to becoming a Momma. After our first Post Placement Report, Gerard told me that I needed to put this book away. At the time I did not see the harm in leaving it out but he presented a good argument as to why it should be put away. I told him after I did the taxes.

Here is a little know fact about me...I have anxiety about paperwork. Last years taxes were difficult because I had to total up all the receipts according to the year, 3 tax years. This is something that I avoided like the plague. I realized I did not want to know how much the adoption expenses cost us. I knew I had a chunk of money in the bank and now I did not and that was enough for me. I never wanted Anna to have a price attached to her.

So this year when I pulled out the books that once were so familiar and felt good to hold suddenly they did not have that same feeling. When I carried these books I used to wrap my arms around them and hug them but they never hugged back like Anna does. I kept pretty much every receipt but not all. I know I did not. I now have a rough idea of how much money was spent but I try not to ever think about that.

I pray every night that the bulk of the money spent went to the other children waiting or living in the orphanages but somehow I just do not think so.

Gerard had no clue what the total was for adoption related expenses and does not want to know. I will say it was expensive and worth every penny. I know he was shocked by the stack of receipts. Tonight I packed the big book away again. Suddenly I felt a relief that it was gone again. I hugged Anna and smiled.

If I get the tax return that I am owed life here will be very different. If I do not get the return then it was God's will because life will go on. I am so thankful that next year I will not have to provide for or think of the adoption credit again. I will have a nice simple, ordinary return just the way I like it.

6 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Wow. I just can't believe the IRS is doing this to you all! We had it really easy. We claimed our credit in one year and then we were done. We haven't had to the think about the amount spent bringing Aidan home for three years now. . .Thanks be to God! I always think of it as the beaurocratic paperwork price, not a pricetag on Aidan. . .The think I don't like thinking about is the amount we spent trying to have a biological child. Talk about a lot of money! Anyway, good luck with the Red Tape! I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Melissa said...

Adding up all those receipts was definitely no fun. I have been asked how much Colby was and I have never ansered except to say that we did have to travel and that would be like taking two vacations. THere is no pricetag I could put on him, he's priceless to me. But I am a little confused. We only claimed the adoption credit one year, the year it was final. That is what we were told. You couldn't claim it before it was final. How are you claiming it again? Last year's taxes we got a part refund and the IRS kept some that will be used for future taxes owed. Not sure how it worked but due to Mike's business we have an accountant who did it. Haven't heard about this year yet, the accountant became very sick and we filed an extension. We won't owe anything but not sure what we will get back.
Melissa

Lisa said...

This is our second adoption and this year the IRS has changed all of the rules. Joy, we had to go through the same steps as you and this is our second year claiming the credit as well. I faxed in our receipts (like you I kept putting it off!) on April 30 and just this past Friday I got a letter saying they got my papers on May 3 and will get back to me withinin 30 days. Ugh! I feel your pain!! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Our taxes seem all messed up as well. Well not messed up really, just a headache as we did not get back nearly as much as we were supposed to. Our accountant says no worries, they are just auditing us. Great.

I am so happy you have no qualms about the truth, which is Anna is adopted. I hope Gerard can realize that if Anna sees him thinking her adoption is something shameful and that should be hidden and not questioned or talked about, that she might feel shameful as well. But even if he doesn't, she will likely see that he is just a very private person. And I am sure she will figure out that him not liking to talk about it is just his way of saying she is his--adopted or not.

There are such cool adoption books out there. Two that come to mind are GOD FOUND US YOU and I WISHED FOR YOU. (They're both on Amazon)

Totally love your blog!!

Julie W.

Laura said...

Oh, Joy...I feel your pain. We didn't file our taxes until mid-April (Jon put it off as long as possible) but we, like you, only used part of our credit for 2009 and were hoping to get the rest now.

Last week, we got the "we have your info and are auditing it...will be back in touch within 45 days." If I have to get all those receipts out, I will be so over it. I was organized until K arrived, and the receipts are here -- somewhere. Just not in one spot. I'm in denial -- hoping they won't ask for them but knowing it's a good chance that the IR3-VISA and the Adoption Decree are not enough.

Best wishes and keep us posted!!!

~Laura :)

JennStar said...

So, question for you- what are your receipts for? When we started back in 2007, I kept everything (post office receipts, office supply receipts, everything!), but then chucked it all because I thought that what we had to pay in agency fees would cover that. I'd love additional information- might help me to look into it now before this final trip, just incase I need something later.
-JennStar